GFCI problem

Old 03-08-05, 03:23 AM
GFCI problem

After tripping my GFCI (receptical in wall) in the downstairs bathroom, I noticed that connected to this are a sub-level pump (for shower and toilet) light and fan in bathroom, two wall outlets in family room. This wall switch has to be constantly re-set (sometimes 3 or 4 times a day). This all started happening after the wall recep. got wet. I have changed the wall recep that got wet, do I need to change the GFCI???? Should I have the wall outlets in the other room re-directed to another location?????

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 04:41 AM
You may very well have to install a new GFCI.

If you still have problems with the GFCI tripping, then figure out why. Disconnect all loads except the GFCI. Assuming that this works, add in the loads one at a time. Eventually you should find the problem.

In new construction or in remodel, it would not be allowed for the family room receptacles to be on this circuit. However, you are not doing a remodel, so there is no requirement for you to correct this setup.

What you may want to do (if possible, and if it not so already) is to change the wiring so that family room receptacles are on the line side of the GFCI.

Old 03-10-05, 04:58 PM
I have changed the GFCI and I still get the problem. What makes it hard to determine is that it happens every now and then... With the Appliances off in the family room and the light off in the bath room, this still will happen. I can re-set and it may last for hours (sometimes 10 hours) then it will trip.

Old 03-10-05, 10:17 PM
Are you sure that every single box on the circuit is now 100% dry as a bone?

Old 03-11-05, 02:29 AM
CherieS
Visiting Guest
I think I narrowed it down. When I tried turning it on this morning(went out over night) it kept tripping immediatly, and I heard gurgleing from the sink and the toilet. I unplugged everything except the pump and it still kept tripping for awhile. Then after about 5 min. it re-set. I am now waiting to see if it trips again. Sometimes it will go for hours without tripping. Will a frozen or clogged pump cause this??? and to answer the question about the wet sockets, I changed the socket about a month ago.

Old 03-11-05, 04:23 AM
CherieS
Visiting Guest
I know it is the pump, because after disconneting everything and repeatedly flushing the toilet , the GFCI pops. Now I noticed some water sitting on the top of the pump that wasn't there before. It is a 12a 4 hp pump in the ground that was manufactored in 1999. Any Ideas as to what I can do??????

Old 03-11-05, 04:30 AM
Replace the pump.

Old 03-11-05, 06:33 AM
lost_ring
Visiting Guest
Pump on GFCI

I was told by someone here that anything with a motor should not be on a permanent GFCI. My sump pump was on a GFCI circuit breaker and kept doing the same thing (all of a sudden) I'm convinced now that the pump is getting older and is "leaking" electrons somewhere because of it, and making the breaker go. I ran an extension cord to a different outlet (one on a non-GFCI line) and it seems to be working fine. I think (THINK) that it's safe to have it on a non-GFCI because it is grounded (and sitting in the water in the hole in the ground even). I would hook your pump up to the line side of the GFCI and I think it will solve your problem. Perhaps your pump, like mine is getting closer to the end of its service, but I think it was never meant to be on a GFCI.

P.S.: (THINK)

Edit: I was able to find one seemingly reputable website of a sump pump manufacturer that suggested installing their pump on a GFCI circuit "for additional safety". So it appears that it's not necessarily a bad idea after all, but at the same time not essential. I would move the aging pump to the line side of the GFCI.

Last edited by lost_ring; 03-11-05 at 06:56 AM.