Killing knob and tube circuits (long)

Old 03-08-05, 10:09 AM
Gomer
Visiting Guest
Killing knob and tube circuits (long)

I just replaced a circuit in an upstairs room in my 1914 farmhouse. I wanted to update lighting fixtures, but when I went to install them I realized the circuit was on knob and tube. This scared me as far as installing modern fixtures with the warning for wires that tolerate minimum 90 degrees. So I decided to update the circuit with Romex. This was fairly easy as partial electrical renovation had been done by PO, bringing a big box to the upstairs which they used to update just the middle of 3 upstairs rooms. Thus I tied the two additional fixtures (the ones in question) into the load end of two previously terminal outlets (which I replaced with GFCI) which are serviced by the modern box upstairs. So now each circuit has one outlet and one light fixture. I know where these tie into the breaker panel in the basement (also new). My wire fishing revealed the intricacy of the knob and tube wiring in the room in question. I want the K&T disconnected, but first want to verify the circuit goes where I think it does in case anything else I haven't noticed is connected. When dissconnecting the old fixtures, I trimmed back the knob and tube to the closest knob, and cut and disconnected the circuit in one place where PO had put insulation over and around the old lines where they went over the ceiling to service the ceiling fixture.

Here's my question... Can I safely turn on the old K&T from the breaker panel to verify the circuit is dead? K&T wires in the circuit in question are well separated, trimmed ends are capped, no bare places. I don't see why not but require a second opinion.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 10:15 AM
I don't understand your question. Why do you want to turn this circuit on if it doesn't go anywhere?

Old 03-08-05, 10:27 AM
Gomer
Visiting Guest
I want to verify it is dead, and not served by any hidden connections I'm not aware of.

Old 03-08-05, 10:29 AM
How will turning the circuit on help you verify it is dead?

Hopefully you already verified that it is the only thing on the breaker/fuse before you modified it.