AC Disconnect Height?

Old 03-09-05, 09:12 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
AC Disconnect Height?

Is there a minimum height for the outdoor disconnect for my central AC unit?
The old unit was wired in directly, and I had the whole HVAC system replace recently, but the HVAC contractor didn't do the electrical. I'm going to add that myself.

Just wondered, though, about height off the ground. Seems as I drive around town and observe, they vary.

Old 03-09-05, 09:34 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I believe the rule is 6'-0" to the top of any electrical control. Switch handle applies. I would personally interpret this to mean when the handle is in the uppermost position it is no greater than 6-feet AFF (above finished floor).

Juice

Juice

Old 03-09-05, 09:50 AM
C
Minimum, NOT maximum

It sounds as though your answer is saying the MAX that it can be. I'm asking does it have to be a MINIMUM above the appliance, grass, etc.

I'm not trying to put it right at ground level or anything - that's only common sense - but I didn't know if it had to be at so many inches or something.

Just like outlets are usually placed about 12" from floor, switches at 48", etc.

Didn't know if there was either a code or rule of thumb for where to place the disconnect.

Old 03-09-05, 10:04 AM
J
As far as I know, there's no minimum height for anything--not this, not outlets, not switches.

Old 03-09-05, 10:08 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I misunderstood, and went for maximum. The NEC actually says (in Article 220.24) that when the disconnect handle is in its highest position, the center of the grip must be 2 meters AFF, or 6'-7". It does not specify a minumum height. Rule of thumb? I'd go no lower than 48", personally, but that's instinct, and not Code.

Juice

Old 03-09-05, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For outside a/c condensors I typically install them so the top is about even with the top of the a/c unit. This puts them @ about 24"-36".
They are rain tight so it matters not if they get covered by snow.

Old 03-10-05, 06:02 AM
C
Thanks for the replies and info. I'll proceed and probably put the box near the top of the unit also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: