gen disconnect/interconnect breaker

Old 03-09-05, 07:27 PM
gen disconnect/interconnect breaker

Any suggestions on where to find such a beast?

I'm looking for a 200 amp breaker to replace my main, with 'line-off-generator'. Box stores only seem to carry the little 6 circuit generator panels. I want to connect to the whole house (only thing my gen won't run is the heat pump).

If I've got it right, I can use the following breakers..

Milbank UQFP
Cutler-Hammer/Westinghouse HQP, BR or WBJ
Murrary/Crouse-Hinds MD
GE Q Line

I've already got the box to connect the generator with it's pigtail to connect to the breaker (although the wires seem pitifully small, that's what it comes with).

Also, is there an inline wattmeter that I could install, just so I can be sure I don't overload, or load up one side of the circuit too much over the other?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 07:48 PM
You cannot expexct to run the whole house from the genset without 1st installing a transfer-switch.Just swapping the main breaker will not do.The transfer-switch will shut down power from the utility and switch over to generator power.This will prevent power from the genset being distributed onto the utility lines {a backfeed} & possibly kill a lineman tring to restore power to the area.

Old 03-09-05, 08:30 PM
That's what the breaker type I am talking about does.. It's a break before make, meaning you can have line power OR gen power, but never both. It's just a manual version of the automatic types. I have a manual generator, so no need for the expensive automatic switches.

I've seen them, I know they make them, I just need to find a supplier for one that will fit my box.

Old 03-09-05, 08:46 PM
Found one, at least close to what I am looking for. Try to find one that will fit my existing enclosure, but this might work if I can't find one.

http://www.nooutage.com/twb2003cr.htm along with several other models, including a complete replacement panel for the inside, that is only slightly more expensive.

Old 03-10-05, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not rely on home centers to find something like this. They may carry exactly what fits the panels they sell, but not any variety.
If you didn't already, I would try your local electrical supply houses.

Old 03-10-05, 01:49 PM
Sorry about my misunderstanding,I never heard them called that before.I agree with Pete I would try a supplyhouse for the exact brand you need