Sewage ejector on GFCI?

Old 03-10-05, 09:20 AM
markroy
Visiting Guest
Sewage ejector on GFCI?

I've just installed a sewage ejector in my basement. It requires (I believe) a dedicated 20A circuit. There is a utility sink very close to the sewage ejector (both are in the 'unfinished' part of the basement).

I'm thinking that because the receptacle for the sewage ejector pump is near the sink, I have to use a GFCI outlet. But, I think I read in another thread here that it's not a good idea for a pump to be on a GFCI. I certainly don't want this breaker tripping unnecessarily!

Advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 10:20 AM
Do not use a GFCI. USe a single receptacle (not a duplex receptacle). It must be a 20 amp receptacle.

Old 03-10-05, 11:22 AM
Follow the pump manufacturer's instructions. If they say to use a GFCI, then do so. Otherwise, don't.

Old 03-11-05, 06:35 AM
markroy
Visiting Guest
The pump manufacturer (Goulds) doesn't say anything one way or the other about GFCI. I had thought that the outlet's proximity to the laundry sink might require that a GFCI outlet be used.

I guess that if I use a 20A simplex receptacle (non-GFCI), I'll avoid the issue.

Old 03-11-05, 10:46 AM
I would not want a sewage ejector to trip a GFCI and not know about it. If you want to use a GFCI I would wire it so that some often used light is also going to go off if the GFCI trips.