Half-switched outlet with intermittent power on hot plug

Old 03-10-05, 05:27 PM
skopcho
Visiting Guest
Half-switched outlet with intermittent power on hot plug

I just moved into a new place and in one room there is only one outlet that is attached to a switch. I need one plug to be unswitched, so I broke the connector tab between the bronze colored screws. Before I did that both swithed plugs worked fine, but after, the switched plug works fine but the unswitched plug has intermittent power - a 60 watt lamp flickers on and off.

I'd like to try to fix this if it isn't too difficult. Otherwise how much would it cost to have an electrician do it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 06:06 PM
After breaking the tab did you connect a wire to the screw? You need an always hot wire to connect to the screw.
Tell us all the wires and connections in the receptacle box. There is likely an unswitched hot there somewhere.

Old 03-10-05, 06:10 PM
skopcho
Visiting Guest
There is a common on the silver screw side that serves both. Then there are two others, one switched, one not. Each of those is attached to screw on either side of the broken tab. What's the easiest way to test the wires?

Old 03-10-05, 10:00 PM
There's more to making a half-switched receptacle than breaking the tab.

Did you break the tab completely off, such that you got a little piece of metal to throw in the trash?

Are the two wires on the brass-screw side different colors? What colors?

If you're still having trouble, tell us all the cables, all the wires and all the connections in the receptacle box. Then do the same for the switch box.

Old 03-11-05, 09:23 AM
skopcho
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
There's more to making a half-switched receptacle than breaking the tab.

Did you break the tab completely off, such that you got a little piece of metal to throw in the trash?

Are the two wires on the brass-screw side different colors? What colors?

If you're still having trouble, tell us all the cables, all the wires and all the connections in the receptacle box. Then do the same for the switch box.
I did break the tab off completely and threw the little piece away.

There is a black and a white wire on the brass screw side. The common is white as well.

Old 03-11-05, 09:40 AM
Provide more details, please. What other wires are in the box? What cables do they come from? Is there a wire on each brass screw. or do both wires connect to the same screw?

Old 03-11-05, 10:40 AM
What wires were connected to what before you broke the tab? What wires did you change after breaking the tab? Tell us all the wrie except the grounds in the box.