Conduit help!!

Old 03-13-05, 09:00 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduit help!!

I am in the process of re-wiring my old house. I had posted a few questions regarding snaking some circuits to the attic and I now have a follow up. Since I had found 1 empty "channel" between studs that ran from basement to attic I had asked if I may run multiple wires (and how many) in this channel. I ended up running 6 12/2 wires for 6 different circuits to be wired from the attic. I had gotten different comments, one was to use armored cable and the other that is was perfectly appropriate to have NM cable "loose" in the wall. The combination of these caused me last minute to cut 2 ft lengths of 1 1/2 conduit and drop them down the NM cable I used from the attic creating a "sleeve" for protection from nails, saws and the like in the future. The lengths of conduit are only resting on top of each other with the lowest one clamped at the wall access in the basement to keep them from dropping down or putting any "pressure" on the lines exiting at the bottom. My concern now (after the fact) is the heat. They are not so tight that when I did this the conduit could move fairly easily over the wires. As the ceiling in the basement is closed up and access now cut off...it would be a headache to correct.. I have only started using 2 of the 6 12/2 for new circuts. It would be difficult to REMOVE the conduit but if the 6 are a safety concern I may be able to pull out 2, leaving 4 making it less of a heat issue. The cicuits are being run fairly light. I had spken to the electrician that upgraded and installed my 40 slot panel and he thought I was probably OK. The length that the cable is in the condu it is about 12 ft. Is there any concern? Should I correct any of this. Otherwise, it was all done very neatly with wire protection in mind...Thank for your advice...this has been on my conscious..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-05, 09:22 AM
R
You did not need to put conduit over the wires. It is not required.

Did you put one piece over all 6 wires?

Old 03-13-05, 09:25 AM
J
Depending on circumstances, the conduit you added probably changed a code-compliant installation to a code violating installation, and increased the risk. I recommend you remove them. If you cannot remove them, and if you used 20-amp breakers, then you must replace the 20-amp breakers with 15-amp breakers.

Old 03-13-05, 09:43 AM
C
Yes all six fit in a 1 1/2 inc diameter conduit. The conduit moves over the wires fairly easily so its not like they are crammed in. I guess I will try to pull them up from the attic one by one. I can cut the lines in the attic and junction them (I would like not to) and pull the conduit off that way.. I might be able to cut the Couduit with tin snips so that I don't have to cut the wires..just tedious. I wouldn't want to use anything electric so as not to damage the wires...If the six are loose in the wall channel, would I be O.K. then?

Old 03-13-05, 09:57 AM
J
Yes. What else is in this "channel"? Does the furnace flue also use this channel?

Old 03-13-05, 10:02 AM
C
No. It is an empty 16 inch (on occasion- old house) stud channel with no insulation.

Old 03-13-05, 10:06 AM
J
Okay, the remove the conduit and you're good to go.