electric heat thermostat ?

Old 03-13-05, 10:44 AM
wsammler1
Visiting Guest
electric heat thermostat ?

Hello, I'm attemting to replace my existing electric baseboard heat thermostat in my kitchen. The old thermostat had 2 black wires coming off it connecting to the house current and the baseboard wiring. the 2 white wires were connected together.
My new Honeywell thermostat has 4 wires 2 red and 2 black. As you can tell by my terminology I'm a novice. I have rewired it to the best I can based on the directions. I am getting heat but the thermostat is not adjusting to my requested temperature. It's eaither too hot or its off when off. Can somebody get back to me with the most simplest wiring plan to insure i at least did that right.....thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-05, 12:34 PM
If the switching action is correct--- which means the T "makes" on a temerature fall and opens on a temperature rise ( dis-regarding the set-point value- ex.- 70*), then look for a wattage- adjustment on the thermosat.

You need to determine the wattage-rating of the heater. If the rating is 1000 watts, then set the internal ajustment to that value.Possibly there is a temperature-calibration mechanism as well. Refer to the instructions for such adjustments.

Your description implies that you are using a 2-pole thermosatat on a 120-volt heater- in effect, using only one of the 2-poles for switching the circuit.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-05, 12:40 PM
Sounds like the old thermostat was a single pole thermostat, while the new one is two pole.

What is the voltage and current of this baseboard heater?

Old 03-14-05, 07:36 AM
racraft, Exactly, but the voltage probably isn't an issue. I'm betting it's 220. If the below paragraph doesn't solve the problem, I'll loose, but no damage will be done.

Connect the black power supply to one of the black thermostat wires. Split the white wires apart and connect the white power supply (the wire that's in the same cable as the black power supply) to the other black thermostat wire. Connect the black wire from the baseboard to one of the red thermostat wires and the white wire from the baseboard to the other red thermostat wires. If it doesn't work let us know.

Doug M.