Utility Co. or Me?

Old 03-13-05, 01:29 PM
Question Utility Co. or Me?

Good sunday to all. My house (85 yrs young) has 2 electric meter slots on the outside. One of them just has a blank plate over it with no meter but when I look thru the blank plate I can see the 3 wire system connected to terminals. It appears that it is "bridged" from the acitive meter right next to it. This blank plate meter slot has a 3wire conduit that went to an old 30amp box in the basement. This was used one time for an old electric hot water heater. It is no longer needed. Here is my question. #1 I used a FLUKE tester stick on the small conduit leading from the from the blank meter slot to the 30amp box and it showed no power. But I do not was to assume no power just yet, so I pulled the old breaker from the old 30amp box and put the tester on the actual wires connected to the bar and it showed no power also. Can I assume it is safe to remove this old conduit or does it belong to utility company. A neighbor told me anything below the meter was my responsibility. then again this is the same neighbor that forgot the name of his son last summer. Any advice on how to remove this conduit leading from the blank meter slot down to the old unwanted 30 amp box is greatly appreciated. ---Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-05, 01:47 PM
Contact the power company. They will most likely need to open the meter box so that the wires can be removed (possibly even disconnected) there.

Old 03-13-05, 01:53 PM
Thank you racraft....sometimes the simplest solution is the right one. I appreciate your expertise.

-Bob