Receptacle Height Code / Garage workroom

Old 03-13-05, 05:22 PM
Mangi
Visiting Guest
Receptacle Height Code / Garage workroom

Can anyone tell me if I "must" mount my receptacle boxes at 12" (floor to center of box), in order to be in code. This is in my workroom, inside my garage, and I mounted them a bit higher (13" Floor to bottom of box) and a few at 6' for easier access over my work bench. Should I remove them and place them at 12" or is this just the recommended height for normal living area?

Old 03-13-05, 05:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Code specified no height requirement for receptacles in a garage. Mount them at any height you find convenient. Mount them low, mount them high. Mount them on the ceiling. Mount them on the floor (no, just kidding--this is a bad idea). Put them anywhere you want.

Code has very few requirements for receptacle height in living areas too. Anywhere from on the floor within 18" of the wall, to in the baseboards, to up to 5'6" high are all equivalent. You can mount them above 5'6" high too, but you might also need to mount a lower one.

Old 03-13-05, 05:29 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can put them at any height you want.

Old 03-13-05, 05:35 PM
Mangi
Visiting Guest
Thank you both. What about the receptacle boxes being flush with the wallboard. I set all the boxes thinking I was using thinner wallboard. I ended up using 1/2" board and now all the boxes are recessed a little bit. I just sawsall one box and out and reset it flush but it was a royal pain. Should I or shouldn't I.

Old 03-13-05, 06:03 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As long as the boxes are not recessed more than 1/4" in a non-flamable material (like drywall or ceramic tile), they're okay. If they are farther than 1/4" back, or if they are recessed at all in a flamable surface (like plywood or paneling), you need to use a box extender to bring them flush.

Old 03-13-05, 07:05 PM
Mangi
Visiting Guest
Thanks and I will post a follow up.
JOhn

Old 03-14-05, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I put all the outlets in my shop around 3' off the floor, for no other reason than they are easier to get to when you have equipment backed up against the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: