outlet to switch to fixture help

Old 03-14-05, 04:16 PM
outlet to switch to fixture help

Hello,

I have power going to an outlet, then to a switch and finally to the light fixture. I have not been able to get the light to turn on/off. At one point, the light was on, but when I flipped the switch the circuit popped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. I have power running to outlet. Then pigtailed to goto switch/fixture.
2. I want the outlet hot at all times.
3. I am using single pole switches.
4. I am going out of my mind on this seemingly "simple" project.

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 05:01 PM
Are you 100% sure that the cable routing goes from the receptacle to the switch to the light? How do you know? Can you see all the cable, or did you install all the cable yourself?

How many cables are in the switch box and exactly how did you connect them?

Old 03-14-05, 05:14 PM
Yes, I did wire everything myself as follows:

1. The power source definatly enters the recepticle outlet.

2. The switch is to the left of the outlet and the fixture is to the right of the outlet so I have all the wires (3 blacks, 3 whites and 3 gnds) meeting up in the outlet box.

3. I can see all the wires as I am remodeling the room.

4. I really don't care if the recepticel is hot all the time or not. If it can all the better, but I'm ok either way.

5. I presently have all wires disconnected from everything.

Jamie

Old 03-14-05, 06:06 PM
Your mistake is most likely that you don't understand the concept of a switch loop.

At the switch connect the black wire to one terminal on the switch and the white wire to the other terminal. Connect the ground wire to the green ground screw and to the box, if it is metal.

At the light connect the black wire to the light black. Connect the white wire to light white. Connect the ground wire to the light ground and to the box if it is metal.

At the receptacle: Make sure that the receptacle has both tabs intact (one on each side). Connect the power black wire to one gold screw. Connect the switch white wire to the other gold screw. Connect the power white wire to one silver screw. Connect the light white wire to the other silver screw. Connect the switch black wire to the light black wire with a wire nut. Connect the ground wires together, and to the receptacle, and to the box if it is metal.

Old 03-14-05, 06:26 PM
racraft,

I am going try your suggestion now. Thanks. I'll post back.

Old 03-14-05, 06:51 PM
racraft,

your suggestion has worked! Thank you so much. Do you know of a good book for a novice? I have the Home Depots Wiring 1-2-3. But its pretty basic. Not that I need a real technical book, but something good for times like these?

Again, Thanks.

Jamie

Old 03-15-05, 06:32 AM
A book called Wiring Simplified. It is less than $10.00 and is available at Home Depot and other stores.

Old 03-16-05, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
A book called Wiring Simplified. It is less than $10.00 and is available at Home Depot and other stores.
Im going there today to hopefully buy it. Thanks again.