Mixing gas and electricity

Old 03-20-05, 02:37 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Mixing gas and electricity

Hi everyone,

I am doing a remodel job on my finished basement and have a few questions about running the electrical I need for the job.

The situation is this. There is the outside, main load bearing wall, and then another wall infront of this wall to finish and hide the foundation and plumbing and what not. There is about 4 to 5 inches between these two walls and this is where I will be running my electrical.

1. Are there any restrictions regarding running romex next to or across a gas line? The gas line is 3/4 iron and the romex is 12/2. Also, what about running the electrical around or in front of plumbing...supply and waste?

2. I am installing a direct vent gas heater on an outside wall. The heater has a blower so I will be installing an electrical supply for it. I know furnaces have to have a dedicated electrical supply, so I am wondering if my heater falls into the same category, or can I just tap off a nearby outlet for the supply? Normally, the heater doesn't require any electrical, unless the optional blower is installed.

3. I'm also installing a couple light sconces and I was wondering what the preferred wiring method is for this situation. It would be very easy for me to just tap off an existing nearby outlet for supply to the lights and then just run a switch loop for the switching. But, I could run the supply into the switch box, if that is the preferred method. Any thoughts on this?

All my circuits are 20A coming from a 200A service.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

Old 03-20-05, 03:38 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. No restrictions. Although I'd prefer that the Romex didn't actually touch any of these things.

2. Follow the heater manufacturer's instructions. To provide more information, I'd need the exact elelctrical requirements of the heater. But if as you say they are low, the NEC would not impose any restrictions over and above what the manufacturer requires.

3. Either way is fine, although I generaly recommend running the cable to the switch first, since this method provides so many fewer ways to screw it up.

Before tapping off any circuit, you should completely analyze what that circuit already serves, and what you propose to add. Make there that you stay well within the capacity of the circuit. And if you put lights and receptacles on the same circuit, you may have to accept that the lights dim when you run the vacuum cleaner from the receptacle. Also, don't tap a circuit serving a receptacle in a dining room, kitchen, laundry area, or bathroom.

Old 03-20-05, 10:15 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John, thank you so much for your advice.

Although I'd prefer that the Romex didn't actually touch any of these things.
That is my preference also, and I intend to secure the wire as far from these items as possible, which shouldn't pose a problem. I just wanted to be sure there was no proximity restriction before I began.

Follow the heater manufacturer's instructions.
Couldn't find the actual specs on the motor for the blower. I don't actually have the unit yet...it is on order. This is a link to the installation manual for the unit. Near the bottom is the part for installing the blower and the only stipulation made is a requirement for the wiring to be grounded, which will not pose a problem as mine is. I'll look for more information when I get the unit, although I suspect I won't find much more than what I have already found.

Either way is fine, although I generaly recommend running the cable to the switch first, since this method provides so many fewer ways to screw it up.
I'm confident in running a switch loop, so I think I will take the easy route on this one.

Before tapping off any circuit, you should completely analyze what that circuit already serves, and what you propose to add.
Not a problem here as I have installed the circuits that I would be tapping into, so I know exactly what the loads are.

Thanks again for the information. I appreciate your help.

Randy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: