Adding an exterior GFCI?

Old 03-16-05, 01:22 PM
Rick P
Visiting Guest
Adding an exterior GFCI?

I want to have power on the side of my house that doesn't currently have any. I need to know the easiest way to install a GFCI out there. Inside the garage I have a GFCI that is exactly where I'd like to add the exterior unit. Can I run a short piece of wire thru the wall from the interior GFCI to the exterior GFCI? Basically I'd have the two GFCIs back to back.

The GFCI in the garage does control 4 other outlets in the house. It controls another outlet in the garage and three other outlets in two different bathrooms. Does this affect anything I'm wanting to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-05, 01:42 PM
First the physical answer.

Yes, you could tap off this GFCI for another one. Don;t make them back to back, as they might not both fit in the wall space. Offset the new one but remain in the same stud space. You could even use a plain receptacle, if you tapped off the load side of the garage GFCI, although I would probably install a GFCI and tap off the line side of the garage GFCI.

Now the caveat.

By today's code, you cannot extend a bathroom circuit. In fact, by today's code this circuit would not be allowed. However, this is an existing circuit. Some people would say that you can extend this circuit, other would say no you can't.

My question. What do you intend to run off this receptacle? Running something while someone is using a hairdryer in a bathroom might just overload the circuit.

Old 03-16-05, 01:51 PM
Rick P
Visiting Guest
The only reason I want an outlet on that side of the house is to run a power cord from my RV,to charge the two deep cycle batteries in the RV. I don't have the RV here right now,so I don't know how much power the converter takes.

I wouldn't actually have the outlets back to back. I was having a hard time desribing what I was trying to accomplish.