fishing wire through the walls

Old 03-17-05, 07:19 AM
fishing wire through the walls

hi,i have a 70 year ols house that i am in the process of renovating.When i did the second floor(story and a half house)it was simple to rerun new wiring since i had the attic open and knee wall areas behind all my walls,and the sewer stack to run my wires down to the basement.

The basement will also be easy since i have access to everywhere as well.However,the main floor has beautiful plaster ceilings that mould down about two and a half feet.Therein lies my problem.I can easily punch holes in the wall since I only plan on reskimming them.The floor joists run in the direction that i plan on running wire,so that helps,but how do I feed along the ceiling and down the two and a half feet to get to the wall areas?I am pretty sure that the old wiring is stapled so that doesnt help,and i am sure that i will run into cross braces along the way?any ideas??????

Also lifting up the second story floor is not an option,mint wood floor that I am sure will never sit properly again if i lift it.

As for why i am doing it,no grounds,safety plus a lot of the old wires running to the box are losing their insulation

I also have to upgrade my panel from fuses or my insurance will go through the roof(not me doing it).I it worth upgrading to 200 amps at the time.Just thinking about the future,hot tub,Mini slpits,woodshop garage etc.

Thanks

Last edited by flyerfan; 03-17-05 at 07:25 AM. Reason: brain dead
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-05, 07:22 AM
Go up from the basement.

Old 03-17-05, 07:27 AM
K,thats the easy part,but how do i run to the ceiling light in the center of each room?(oops,i should have made that clearer)

Old 03-17-05, 07:44 AM
Wink

For sure this day and age go for a 200 amp panel Get it big so you can add more breakers if you want.

ED

Old 03-17-05, 07:50 AM
You may just have to make a hole or two where you don't want one. Sometimes it cannot be avoided.

Old 03-17-05, 08:16 AM
Any holes in the ceiling or side moulding will not be able to be matched by patching.The style was for me a big selling point when i bought(of course not looking far enough a head).If i punch any holes i might as well just tear it down and drywall new ceilings,but I will not be able to reproduce it,nor do i really want the expense.Is a short conduit run outside possible(assuming i have access sideways through the above floor joists?

whee is all of todays technology LOL

thanks

Old 03-17-05, 08:21 AM
Sometimes it is possible to make a hole in the wall and feed a fish tape up, while at the same time feeding a fish tape from a hole in the ceiling and have them connect , but not always.

A good plasterer can match anything.

Old 03-17-05, 08:47 AM
This house is old enough that it might be balloon framing. You might be able to go direct from the ceiling into the wall. Make a hole in the wall and see if you can get a fish tape up into the ceiling cavity.
Also if you remove the baseboard on the second floor you might be able to come down into the ceiling from inside an upper wall.

Old 03-17-05, 10:33 AM
Can you create a hole on the ceiling and in the wall, inline with the light you want to install? If so, they make 6' long drill bits which you can use to drill through the top plate. Then you can fish the wire up behind the decorative cove.