Two prong to three prong


Old 03-18-05, 07:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Two prong to three prong

Would like to convert two prong outlet which I believe is 110 to a three prong outlet to accomodate a space heater. What does the change entail? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-05, 11:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,335
I think best way to do what you want to do is to replace the 2 prong receptacle with a 3-prong GFCI receptacle (~$13). A 2 prong is ungrounded, and it would take a lot of work rewiring the circuit with grounded cable for a proper 3 prong outlet. A GFCI receptacle provides shock protection without needing a ground wire.
Old 03-21-05, 04:50 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
You may or may not be able to simply install a three prong receptacle. Your wiring MAY include a ground, or it may NOT include a ground. To properly install a three prong receptacle you either need a grounded circuit, or you need GFCI protection.

Note that installing GFCI protection will not cause the circuit to be grounded. However, a properly connected GFCI receptacle will provide a safe means of using appliances that require a grounded circuit.

To determine if your circuit is grounded means visually examining the wiring at the receptacle and at the panel and also using a tester or analog voltmeter to check the circuit.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes