Insulating attic, over spool and wire circuit.

Old 03-20-05, 07:44 AM
Insulating attic, over spool and wire circuit.

I'm sitting her minding my own business when suddenly I am asked to insulate an accessible, unfinished attic. However, I see the old spool and wire installed in ust a few places in the attic. The remainder is newer romex and is ran on the roof rafters and is not a problem (more or less).

Assuming that there is at least one live spool and wire circuit installed to the ceiling studs which is actually the attic floor space (not the roof rafters),,, can I lay fiberglass roll insulation over these? What is the 'practical' solution?

I am not interested in replacing the spool and wire as they are the original and code compliant. That is to say, the non-occupied house passed electrical inspection 10 years ago, after it was remodeled by contractors and partially rewired (including new service panel), to put up for sale.

I believe these spool and wire circuits were not replaced 10 yrs ago because they run through inaccessible floor joists between the first and second floor. I suspect they teminate in just a few interior wall outlets on the second floor and one ceiling mount front porch light. So natually, I am not going to tackle what the remodel contractors avoided when they were installing some new walls and some new floors.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-05, 08:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are talking about knob and tube wiring you cannot insulate around these and remain Code compliant. The insulation on the wires needs to be able to radiate any heat. Enclosing them in insulation will hasten the breakdown and could lead to a fire.

Old 03-20-05, 09:11 AM
Ahhhhh, mannnnnn!!! Shucks, it sucks. Dat don't sound good. It figures! What am I to do?

Old 03-20-05, 12:50 PM
In my opinion, anyone with K&T wiring should be saving up their money for a rewire. Even if it is currently safe, and that's pretty hard to tell for sure, eventually you will want to insulate and/or your insurance company will no longer renew your policy.

Old 03-20-05, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the replys. Gives me plenty to ponder.