Garbage disposal power supply

Old 03-20-05, 09:41 AM
Garbage disposal power supply

I am installing a NEW garbage disposal and jsut want to confirm how to run the new 14-2 romex from breaker box. I installed 15amp breaker with black(hot) going to breaker and white(neutral) going to neutral buss bar and of course ground going to ground buss bar. I then go from the box to the single pole switch having put black(hot) on one terminal and white to be tied in with(second piece of 14-2 romex) other white coming from disposal. Also coming from disposal is the other black which will put other terminal on switch. Oh and connect ground wires. Would this be correct to bring power in on the black and return onthe white?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-05, 11:28 AM
Sounds good. Of course, there are a million more details and a million more chances to screw it up, but the stuff you presented is correct.

Old 03-20-05, 01:40 PM
Strictly speaking a white wire should never be hot. I believe that it is permissible to do what you propose by making it NOT WHITE, that is identify the wire with black or red tape as a hot wire. I am a plumber with just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous. Let's hope a real electrician will chime in here and let us know if I have stated this correctly.

Old 03-20-05, 03:27 PM
594, the phrasing is somewhat difficult, but the way I read the original post, there are no hot white wires being proposed.

Old 03-20-05, 05:39 PM
Everything worked out fine. Thanks for your help. Oh and just to let you guys know I'm a stationary Engineer with moderate electrical skills, and the one thing I have learned being in this business is that if you don't know or your not sure always ask someone who does know