Buzzing or Humming Light

Old 03-15-05, 12:31 PM
Dgasman
Visiting Guest
Buzzing or Humming Light

I installed (2) 3-way dimmers switches to control my dinning room light fixture. I wired the switches correctly and they worked as describes in the manufacturer’s literature. The switches are rated for 600 watts and I have (5) 60-watt bulbs in the fixture. HOWEVER, I am experiencing a humming or buzzing sound at the light bulbs when the fixture is dimmed. Is the problem in the fixture, lights, or the switches? Any help out there?

Old 03-15-05, 12:37 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should not have two three way dimmers on the same light. You should use one three way dimmer and a regular 3 way switch. However, I don't think this is related to your problem.

What type of bulbs are you using?

Old 03-15-05, 03:40 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Certain brands of bulbs especially the cheap ones will hum when dimmed. Try a different brand of bulbs.

Old 03-18-05, 10:20 AM
Dgasman
Visiting Guest
Buzzing or Humming Light

We changed the lights and the buzzing/humming went away (thanks). However, why is it inappropriate to use two three-way dimmer switches to control a light fixture? The threeway dimmer switches we used were Pass & Symore. The instrucrtion indicated that was an allowable use of their product, unless I miss read the instructions (possible). I can install a standard 3 way if necessary, but would like to understand the theory behind this input. Can you point me to any information I could read for understanding.

Old 03-21-05, 04:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The problem with 2 three way dimmers is that if either dimmer will only allow you to dim from just above off up to the setting of the other dimmer. In other words, the range of one dimmer is limited by the range of the other dimmer.

For example, if one dimmer is set in the middle of it's range, then all you will be able to get using the other dimmer is a range of off to half voltage, you will never be able to get to full voltage until you turn both dimmers to their highest setting.

Old 03-21-05, 05:06 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Dgasman
We changed the lights and the buzzing/humming went away (thanks). However, why is it inappropriate to use two three-way dimmer switches to control a light fixture? The threeway dimmer switches we used were Pass & Symore. The instrucrtion indicated that was an allowable use of their product, unless I miss read the instructions (possible). I can install a standard 3 way if necessary, but would like to understand the theory behind this input. Can you point me to any information I could read for understanding.
Most 3way dimmers are only designed for one per circuit. The brand you purchased is designed for two per circuit so you do not have a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: