detached garage power out

Old 03-21-05, 08:04 AM
kkmkkstovall
Visiting Guest
Question detached garage power out

i have an detached garage and the power is out the outlets,lights and the garage door opener do not work i have checked the curcit breakers and they all seem to be fine is there something else i need to check. need help please

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-05, 08:15 AM
How is this garage wired? Is there a sub panel there? Is it a single circuit? Is it a multi-wire circuit?

Did you try turning the breaker fully off and then back on? Have you reset all the GFCI devices (receptacles, breakers, etc.)?

Old 03-25-05, 03:59 PM
kkmkkstovall
Visiting Guest
still confused

Originally Posted by kkmkkstovall
i have an detached garage and the power is out the outlets,lights and the garage door opener do not work i have checked the curcit breakers and they all seem to be fine is there something else i need to check. need help please
sorry but i am a first time home owner , could you please explain this to me as if i was an 2yr old.

Old 03-25-05, 04:03 PM
Skip the GFCI question for now, but answer the other questions.

How is this garage wired? Is there a sub panel there? Is it a single circuit? Is it a multi-wire circuit?

Old 03-25-05, 05:02 PM
Sounds to me like you checked circuit breakers in the garage itself, not at the house, correct?

If so, the garage has what is called a "sub-panel". It is fed from a breaker in a different ("main") panel, most likely the panel that feeds your house.

Check the panel for the house. I bet you'll find a larger sized breaker there that is tripped.

NOTE: A tripped breaker does not neccessarily look like a breaker in the off position. It may only appear to be slightly away from the on position. You'll likely have to push it all the way to off, THEN back to on.