Door Jamb Switch

Old 03-21-05, 09:07 PM
Casey96SS
Visiting Guest
Question Door Jamb Switch

I want to install some door jamb switches to replace some pull chain lights in some closets. I want the light to come on when the door opens.

I have seen several types of door jamb switches. I do not care for the ones that require you to install a box in the door jamb.

I like the BS-100 switches from www.betterswitch.com but they are $29.85 a piece.

Does anyone know of any less expensive options?

Old 03-22-05, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A regular line volt switch is not really a whole lot less considering the time and work to install.

I have never seen those switches but they look nice. I have used the Amprobe Remcon switches a lot in the past and like them. Very similar in application to the Betterswitch.

Old 03-22-05, 09:00 AM
C
I used the line voltage switches with boxes when I did mine last year ($10). I think they would take the same amount of time to install as these. If you want these just for a better look, I found I don't even notice the boxes and didn't paint them. Are these normal hinged doors or bifold doors? Bifold doors are much harder to make work on the stationary side of the door and so I put them on the moving side (except for the laundry, which had dual bifolds).

Either way get them, they are really convenient. I like that fact that it makes people keep the doors closed when not in use.

Old 03-22-05, 04:09 PM
Casey96SS
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check those other switches out. These switches will be used with one standard door and two bifolds. Considering the ease of installation the price for the switches from betterswitch.com might not really be that bad.

Old 03-22-05, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chris, I truly am not trying to argue, but I'll have to disagree that drilling a hole for the reed (or ball contact) switch is the same work as cutting the 1"x2" box in the jamb and mortising for the cover plate.
I have done many of both and I'll take the relay kind hands down.

Remember, you can install the lo-vo switch in the top frame of the door, it doesn't have to be on the hinge side. This makes it easy to snake down a wire in an existing situation.

Old 03-23-05, 09:03 AM
C
I agree its a little harder to install the box. But, it only takes me about 10-15 minutes more to set a box vs. just drilling a hole. $20 for 10-15 minutes is a fair trade for me. I think we both agree in these remodels running the wire is usually the most difficult aspect of these projects. Being able to install at the top of the door would be very helpful in some situations (and w/ no header) and I would use these lo-vo switches. If finance wasn't a consideration, I would just hire an electrician to do it for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: