Upgrading service to 200 amps

Old 03-22-05, 11:12 AM
larryeliz
Visiting Guest
Upgrading service to 200 amps

We are planning on upgrading our service from 100 to 200 amps. I called the electric company and an engineer told me that our location has wire that is capable of 200 amp service going to the house. He said I would just have to replace the meter box and service panel. We talked with an electrican and he thinks that the meter socket is fine since it was installed in the early 80's and has that wire connected to it. A meter socket that is rated at 100 amps would not allow the ga wire that is coming from the power Co to connect. Any thoughts? Should I just replace the meter box at the same time? Or should I just run new wire from the meter to the new panel?

Larry

Old 03-22-05, 11:34 AM
Wendell
Visiting Guest
You really don't want to cut corners with electrical things. I'd plan on replacing the meter too.

And consider yourself lucky that is all you have to do. I'm looking at the same project, but the line (buried) from the grid (also buried) isn't big enough. I'm having to put in a street vault, new transformer, and new buried line--and it is going to cost in the neighborhood of 12K.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: