Upgrading service to 200 amps


Old 03-22-05, 11:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Upgrading service to 200 amps

We are planning on upgrading our service from 100 to 200 amps. I called the electric company and an engineer told me that our location has wire that is capable of 200 amp service going to the house. He said I would just have to replace the meter box and service panel. We talked with an electrican and he thinks that the meter socket is fine since it was installed in the early 80's and has that wire connected to it. A meter socket that is rated at 100 amps would not allow the ga wire that is coming from the power Co to connect. Any thoughts? Should I just replace the meter box at the same time? Or should I just run new wire from the meter to the new panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 11:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You really don't want to cut corners with electrical things. I'd plan on replacing the meter too.

And consider yourself lucky that is all you have to do. I'm looking at the same project, but the line (buried) from the grid (also buried) isn't big enough. I'm having to put in a street vault, new transformer, and new buried line--and it is going to cost in the neighborhood of 12K.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes