Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

curious: mid-60s GE circuit breaker screw slots filled with stuff

Old 03-22-05, 05:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

With the intention of planning for the addition of a new dedicated circuit, I removed the cover panel from my breaker box.

Looking at each circuit breaker, adjacent to each big screw that fastens a wire is a second smaller screw where the slot of that smaller screw is filled with some solid white material. It looks like it could be plaster of paris. Don't know.

The house was built about 1965. The breaker box is GE brand, 100 amp.

I'm just wondering why that white stiff is in each screw slot. I'm guessing that back then that either it came from the factory like that or else the electrician (or the electrical inspector) filled the screw slots with the white stuff to indicate tampering or to prevent tampering. Don't know.

Has anyone seen this before? Or understand what was going on here with the filled screw slots?

I checked new GE circuit breakers at Home Depot. None of them have that second screw. Different manufacturing process I suppose.

thanks,
Brent

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like a type of corrosion to me. I've seen that white powdery substance on old cadmium (sp?) plated metal before. If you don't need to turn those screws, just leave them alone.

Last edited by Andrew; 03-23-05 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-23-05, 04:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This doesn't look like corrosion to me because the screw slots are consistently filled to the surface of the screw head. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a picture. It looks more like someone had a dab of grout or plaster of paris on the tip of their finger and pressed that into each screw head.

Brent

Old 03-23-05, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
Brent,

I have never seen what you describe on residential cct breakers but it is quite common with certain industrial controls where a screw is set and is not to be readjusted.
Yours could be the factory calibration setting.

Old 03-23-05, 07:14 PM
J
JoeST
Visiting Guest
I would agree with GregH. If you look at almost any new breaker they will have a set screw in them normally right by the wire screw that is used to calibrate the breaker that is covered by a white or black plaster like compound. I would think that is what yous is as well if they al look like that.