Start over or leave alone?

Old 03-23-05, 07:08 PM
JoeST
Visiting Guest
Start over or leave alone?

I just re wired my houst last year after I bought it, but problem was I got in a big hury because of the way things were done before. There were so many things wrong with the wireing it was nuts. For example splices done outside of boxes, wires in boxes with no clamps, wires tyed togeather loose & taped(no wire nuts), grounds left off or no ground at all, circuits like the heater that are supposed to be on there own tyed in with two bedroom circits (yes it was actley like this), & the list goes on & on.
But anyway I have redone everything in the house, but being in a hurry to fix so many other problems, not to menchion this was the first time I have done a whole house in one shot I'm not really happy with it all. My biggest problem is that I have quite a few junction boxes that are not needed. At the time I was re wireing I was running into so many problems with the old wireing that putting in a box was an easy solution to keep power to most of the house. Just to point out I am very confadent everything is safe & done right, just alot of things I feel like I could get rid of & make simpler. I am a big perfectionest when it comes to building anything so that is why it's bugging me. It's one of those things that I know I could do much better, & realy don't wont to sell my house in the future just to have someone else say what was this guy doing like I thought about the previous owner.
Anyway to fix my little gripes would only cost me my time & a couple hundred feet or so of wire. But it would clean up a good amount of cluster & make things look so muck simpler like I feel they should be. But I don't know if I'm just being overley pickey or I should go ahead with it. What do some of you guys think? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 07:34 PM
If you did the original work under a permit, and if the work was inspected by a city electrical inspector, then I would leave it alone. If you didn't, then you're going to have big problems when it comes time to sell whatever you do.

Old 03-23-05, 07:53 PM
JoeST
Visiting Guest
No I didn't have a permit. I didnt know at the time wether it was required or not here & was in a hurry to fix the problems I had. It was also going to be just a fix a couple problems thing that grew into more & bigger problems as I went. I know it was pretty careless on my part. But honestly the crap people get away with in this city I dont think anyone would even bat an eye either way. I don't like to think of it that way but it's the truth.

Old 03-23-05, 08:13 PM
Before you do anything, study up on the codes. I recommend the $6 green paperback Wiring Simplified available in the electrical aisle of many Home Depot stores. It's usually no harder to wire in compliance with the code as it is to wire in violation of the code, but you can't hope to comply with code unless you know it. There are many examples where the code is certainly not what you might guess it is. When you come time to sell, the buyer will almost certainly employ a home inspector, and the inspector will most likely cite code violations. That's going to complicate things fast.

Old 03-23-05, 09:07 PM
JoeST
Visiting Guest
Point well taken, Thanks for the responce.

Old 03-24-05, 08:02 AM
Good job on taking steps to make your house safer.

Although it is a good idea to keep junction boxes to a minimum (less splices to troubleshoot should you have future malfunctions), you are allowed to have junction boxes provided they are accessible (not enclosed by wall or ceiling coverings.

Once you read the Wiring Simplified, you should inspect your wiring again for possible faults.

You should seriously consider on getting the work permitted and inspected.

Steve

Old 03-24-05, 08:19 AM
JoeST
Visiting Guest
I'm pretty sure I wouldent have any problems complying with any codes. I don't know everything about them but I do know the basics, not to menchion my father in law is a licesned electrican & has seen most of the wireing. If I was doing anything wrong other than the permit he would had let me know. He is kinda like me in the whole permit thing if you own it & your doing the work why pay the city to fix it yourself. Again I probley wouldent feel like this if some of the things people get away with in this city didnt happen. I will still look into it some more though before doing anything again just to be on the safe side.