Service upgrade - old wiring

Old 03-23-05, 08:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Service upgrade - old wiring

Hello again all,

I will be upgrading to a 200A service to install circuits for a heat pump system and replacing everything I can in the process. There are currently two exterior fused 100A pull disconnects wired in parallel next to the meter each feeding a panel on the inside of the same wall.

My plan is to replace the two disconnects and the two interior panels with a single 200A main panel located on the inside of the wall the meter box is on. Electric co met with me today and their only requirement (beyond the right wire and permit and stuff) was that I replace the mast head - I'd planned on replacing the whole mast assembly - and the GEC - and adding an additional ground electrode - there's only one, and it's not bonded to the water line... I am going to do all that.

My question is, providing that the EXISTING branch circuit wiring will comfortably reach the replacement panel, will the replacement of the panel preserve the "Existing wiring" provisions of NEC?

I want to bring a good plan to the code enforcement folks and be prepared - any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 08:44 PM
J
Panel replacement does not require upgrades to bring the branch circuits in compliance with today's codes. If it did, you wouldn't see many panel replacements. But you should double-check with your inspector to be sure.

Old 03-23-05, 09:37 PM
R
Thanks John,

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted some confirmation from a pro. I will certainly check with an inspector before I proceed with the permitting, in fact I have an appointment on Friday to meet with an inspector on site to discuss my needs and the city's needs regarding a different issue. Maybe he/she can advise or give me the name of who I would need to talk with. I've always found that it is best to engage them up front when possible. They are a vital part of the project, why wait until the end to bring them in? That approach has always saved me some work and $$ in the past....