Wiring for a new Dry Sauna

Old 03-24-05, 10:25 AM
Wookie
Visiting Guest
Wiring for a new Dry Sauna

Hi,
I am going to buy a Dry Suana (Far Infrared (FIR) Sauna) and I am wondering about the wiring for this. There are two models I am looking at, the larger model uses 2520 watts which would draw about 21 amps ( If I did this right 2520/120 = 21). The outlet that I want to use wired to a 20 amp fuse and already has a TV and VCR and DVD on it. Clearly this will not work on this line. The other smaller sauna is rated at 1690 watts which would be about 14.1 amps. Even with the smaller sauna I'm probably pushing it with the other appliances on that circuit, as the TV is a 35 inch beast, though I'm not sure.
My fuse box has no empty spaces in it to add a new line/fuse to it. What are some of my options that I could do here? Could I upgrade an existing 20 amp line to a 30 amp fuse .. but if I did that I would have to upgrade the wiring for a 12 to 10 gauge?
I live in a house that has 2x100 fuse box and there are several 30 and 40 amp lines that I am already using for AC and stoves .. etc.
I'm thinking I will have an electrician come out and give me an esitmate, I just wanted to be a little more informed on my options before he came if he wanted to $ock it to me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-05, 10:37 AM
Can you provide a link that shows the type you're going to install?

Old 03-24-05, 10:54 AM
Wookie
Visiting Guest
Sure .. here are the links .. not to sure how to hyperlink them so here is the URL

The Larger one is the three person Luxsauna

http://www.promolife.com/products/sauna1.htm#3

the smaller output one is from Brighton

http://www.brightonsauna.com/portabl...08c6dc25b49425

Old 03-24-05, 12:39 PM
Wookie
Visiting Guest
Would it be safe just to put a 30 amp fuse instead of the 20 amp ... thinking that the sauna would be on for less than an hour or so at a time?

Old 03-24-05, 12:59 PM
No. Never ever replace a fuse with a larger fuse until and unless you have verified that the wires cannot handle. Never.

Your branch circuit wiring most certainly cannot tolerate a larger fuse.

The picture for this sauna indicated the wattage you specify. However, the wording lower states that it has a normal 15 amp plug. Something is fishy. I would contact them and ask for the power requirements.

I suspect you need a new GFCI protected circuit.

Old 03-24-05, 03:51 PM
Wookie
Visiting Guest
Where do I check the wires gauge?? At the fuse box for that breaker, or the outlet receptacle that would support the sauna? I guess the only way to tell is to look at the wire and hope that I can read some sort of numbering on it that would tell whether it was a 10,12,or 14 gauge.
This is a Dry sauna too ... so I don't need a GFCI.

Old 03-24-05, 05:12 PM
You can;t change the fuse/breaker for this circuit, even if the wiring allowed it (which it almost certainly doesn't). Since it is not a dedicated circuit, but rather it is a general purpose circuit, it can't be larger than 20 amps.

The issue of whether a GFCI is needed depends on where you intend to put this. Outside, it would need a GFCI. In a bathroom it would need a GFCI.