Multi Meters

Old 03-24-05, 02:21 PM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
Multi Meters

I have this mastercraft multimeter http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting
I was looking for a tutorial or guide on using multimeters and I can't seem to find one anywhere online. I just installed a 240V circuit in my garage and I want to test the circuit. So which tests should I perform with this meter and which settings should the dial be at when doing so.
Thanks

Old 03-24-05, 05:29 PM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
bump....

?

Old 03-24-05, 05:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
About the only test you could do with that meter is test for the 220 volts. But you have to set the range switch on a proper scale, and connect the leads to the proper jacks. I can't read the picture well enough to tell you what's what. Don't take this personally, but the fact that you asked this question means you might should not do this at all until you have some OJT from a knowledgeable person...IN PERSON. Hard to do this over the net.

Thing is, 220 volts can come and get you; it can set your house or YOU on fire, so better to be sure and safe.

Old 03-24-05, 07:24 PM
R
All you can do is to test for 240 volts.

You should have 240 volts between the two hot wires. You should have 120 volts from each hot wire to the ground. If the plug has a neutral then you should also have 120 volts between each hot and the neutral.

Do the 240 volt test using a scale that allows for at least 240 volts. Do the 120 volt tests using the same scale or a smaller scale that allows for 120 volts.

Old 03-24-05, 07:30 PM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
The meter has these listed for voltage
V= 200m, 2000m, 20, 200, 1000
V~ 750,200

The black probe is in the common hole and the red probe is in the V, OHM, Amp hole.

Which do I use to test the 240 circuit?

Old 03-24-05, 08:21 PM
G
V~ is the AC voltage scale.
Your house uses AC
V~ 750, use this for measuring the 240 volts.
The 750 scale indicates, the scale will measure up to 750 volts.
The 200 will measure up to 200 volts.

V= is the DC voltage scale
DC is your car and battery's

Old 03-25-05, 05:38 AM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
Thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit confused because of this site I went to. http://www.doctronics.co.uk/meter.htm#digital
If you scroll down to the just below the red Warning print it states
"You are not at all likely to use the AC ranges, indicated by V~, on your multimeter."
So that's why I posted here, I thought I was doing something wrong.

Well thanks again for all your help.
Dave.

Old 03-25-05, 08:33 AM
Well, it just goes to show...don't trust the Brits!

Your meter should have jacks labeled like the one in your link. DO NOT connect any lead to the jack labeled 10 A. We will cover that one in a future lesson.

Connect a lead (black) to the terminal labeled COM (common, negative). Connect another lead ( red) to the jack labeld Volts/Ohms/milliamps. V/Ω/ma

Then select a range greater than the expected voltage . It should say VAC or V~.

By the way, there is no polarity on AC, so the lead colors do not matter, but for consistency assuming the meter will sometimes be use for DC, the convention is black for (-) and red for (+).

Old 03-28-05, 11:51 AM
G
Originally Posted by dirty-d
I was looking for a tutorial or guide on using multimeters and I can't seem to find one anywhere online.
Go to the link.
Click on Volume 1 DC and down load the pdf. book 538 pages of Vol 1 DC.
may take 10 minuets to down load the first book.
go to chapter 3.9, page 100 for a good tutorial on multimeters.

The other e-books have more learning specifics on testing components with your meter.
Good for learning electronics / ohms law...

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/index.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: