Just added sub panel but a question

Old 03-26-05, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Just added sub panel but a question

Hi,

I've visited this forum before and got some great advice.

I just added a subpanel next to my main panel. I had to move a double pole breaker (30amp) to the subpanel to make room for the double pole 60amp breaker to feed the sub from the main panel. My question is about the 30 double pole breaker which I moved.

This 30 amp line goes to an outside air conditioner/heat pump type unit. In the main panel this had a black wire hooked to one post of the 30amp breaker and a white wire to the other post.The unsheilded ground went to the ground/neutral bus bar in the main panel. The black and white wire appears to be thicker than 12/2, but not much thicker.

My question is, since my neutral is unbonded in the sub panel,where does this ground wire go? Does it go the separate ground buss I added to this box, or does it go to the neutral buss, which is the one I left the green grounding screw out of.

I have not turned on the subpanel breaker yet since I haven't hooked up this ground wire. If I had to guess I would of thought it goes to the grounding buss. Am I right?

Old 03-26-05, 08:27 AM
J
Received 309 Votes on 265 Posts
It goes to the ground bus. This circuit does not have a neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: