Interior Electrical Wiring Through conduit

Old 03-26-05, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Electrical Wiring Through conduit

This is a second attempt to post...sorry if it shows up 2x.

My sister has a ceiling fan controlled by a pull chain only. The wiring runs through an exposed conduit from a standard wall recepticle. The house is 1950s era and wiring is original (Hot and neutral with no ground wire--Bx armored cable, most likely). She wants to replace the ceiling fan with a chandelier type fixture that will be controlled by a new wall switch.

Can we cut into the conduit and put a switch there? If so, what sort of "not ugly" boxes are available (manufactures or stores that might carry them)?

How do we deal with grounding of the new fixtures?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-05, 12:45 PM
P
Your statements---- "Exposed 'conduit' "--- "BX most likely"---- implies the Wiring Method between the wall/ceiling outlet-boxes is Armored Cable fastened to exposed wood framing members, and both outlets boxes are also exposed and are not located behind a finished (i.e., "covered") wall or ceiling.

Please infrom us if this is an accurate description of the existing conditions to eliminate "guess-work" advise.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-05, 04:23 PM
J
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Sounds like you don't really have conduit(pipes) but armored cable. You can cut into it to add a switch. However the wire needs to be at least 6 inches inside the box so it will be too short. You will need to replace at least one sectoin coming or going from the box.

Old 03-28-05, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by joed
Sounds like you don't really have conduit(pipes) but armored cable. You can cut into it to add a switch. However the wire needs to be at least 6 inches inside the box so it will be too short. You will need to replace at least one sectoin coming or going from the box.
Well, I am not sure what it is now. I described amored cable to her. But what my sister described to me is not armored cable at all. She said there's a box where the recepticle is but it's raised not recessed in the wall like I am used to. Then from the top of the raised box where it's flush to the drywall, there's a square or rectangular covered run going up the wall and along the ceiling to another raised box where the fan is connected.

So I am not sure what type of wiring is going through that rectangular run from the recepticle to the box at the ceiling...will try to check it and get more info. I was thinking once I know what the wiring type is that I would turn off the juice to it, cut into the covering, disconnect & remove the existing wiring, run same type through the same chase with a switch in the middle.

Thanks for the advice to date to both PATTBAA and joed.

Old 03-28-05, 05:14 AM
R
This sounds to me like Wiremold, or a similar product. Wiremold is a product that runs on the surface of walls and ceilings and is designed to look nicer than regular metal or PVC conduit.

Old 04-10-05, 06:10 AM
Finally got to see what I will be dealing with. It does look like it is similar to WireMold. But the previous owners painted over it a few times. Also, the wiring appears to be 3-wire Romex (hot, neutral and ground). I found a surface mount box that's design for this. So I was thinking of (turning off power, of course) then...

Disconnect wires from the recepticle; cut into the wiremold and pull disconnected end out through there; install the box at the cut; run new romex from recepticle to the box and connect a new swtich there. This way I figure I can have enough romex to work in the box.

Please let me know if any of you see any problems or have any suggestions in doing this.

THANKS!!!