Wiring my new shed

Old 03-27-05, 05:41 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring my new shed

I just finished building a new 10 x 12 shed. I want to have at least 1 light and 1 outlet installed. There is and outlet in one of our bedrooms that is less then 8 feet from the shed. Can I just run a line from that existing outlet to the shed? Will it matter if the outlet I tap into is in the middle of the run or end? Is this safe and up to code?

Old 03-27-05, 06:30 PM
J
Yes, you can do it. And no it doesn't matter whether the receptacle is at the end of the run or the middle. But before you do this, do the math. Figure out everything that is currently on the circuit, determine its wattage, add in the expected wattage of your light and whatever you might plug into the receptacle, and make sure you can stay within the 1800 watts available on the circuit.

If it all checks out, check back with us. There are a lot of details such as wire type and burial depth you'll need to know.

Old 03-27-05, 07:03 PM
A
Thanks John,
The circuit is carrying the bedroom, 1 light, 3 outlets and the bathroom, 1 light 1 outlet. The only thing I plan on using in the shed is a light fixture with 2 60 watt bulbs and a charger for my cordless tool system. I think I will be allright since I won't be using the shed at night. Please let me know about depth, wire and any thingthing else.. I wired my basement, so this should not be to difficult. Thanks for your advise and help!

Old 03-27-05, 07:15 PM
J
Replace the receptacle you will be tapping with a GFCI receptacle. Then run UF-B cable (12/2 if a 20-amp circuit, or 14/2 if a 15-amp circuit) from the load side of the GFCI to the shed. Bury the UF-B at least 12 inches deep and sleeve it with conduit while above ground and to the bottom of the trench for protection. Connect a switch in the shed as the first thing on the line. This switch will serve as the main disconnect for the shed. If you want to leave the receptacle on while the lights are off, you'll need a second switch for the lights, and you will normally leave the disconnect switch on at all times. Inside the shed where it is dry, you can use NM-B (or UF-B, but it's harder to work with).

Read a few home wiring books so you'll know the proper way to protect and secure the cable.

I just noticed that you said it served the bathroom receptacle. Because this circuit serves a bathroom receptacle, it isn't really legal to extend it to serve non-bathroom loads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: