re-routing main feed to detached garage for pool

Old 03-27-05, 07:17 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re-routing main feed to detached garage for pool

hi

i am installing my own inground swimming pool and I think the electrical feed for the detached garage runs right through the middle of where i want to put the pool. All the wires that run to the detached garage come out of a subpanel from the main garage.

I want to keep my costs down as much as possible on this project (and stay safe).

Is it possible for me to re-route this wire around the planned pool area? Would I disconnect the wiring and just leave the disconnnected underground wires in place until the pool is dug and then attached new wires (same gauge and number) and run them in a new trench?

Is this something I can do myself?

thanks

Old 03-27-05, 07:38 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can disconnect the existing feeder at both ends, cut it off where it enters the ground, and abandon the underground portion. Be sure to tell the pool contractor that it's there, and that it's dead.

You can certainly dig the new trench yourself (24" for direct burial cable, or 18" for THWN in conduit). As to whether or not you can do the rest yourself, it depends on your skill level. Many homeowners could, many coundn't.

Old 03-28-05, 08:23 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks

how do i figure out what cable i need? open up the panel and replace wire for wire?

also, do i use a trencher to dig or do i do it by hand?

also, do i hand dig where the conduit goes from the outside of the garage into the ground and then pull out the soon-to-be disconnected wires?

thanks

Old 03-28-05, 08:43 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What is the size of the breaker in the main panel to which the garage feeder is connected? Can you tell what the size and type the current wire is by examining it where it is in the panel?

Trencher or by hand? Depends on the distance, type of soil, and whether you have more money than muscles and time, or more muscles and time than money. Don't think I'd want to dig very far by hand.

Remove as much of the disconnected wire as you can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: