Wiring for a pump and shed


Old 03-28-05, 05:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wiring for a pump and shed

I have a 60 amp sub-box donated from a friend who used it for an older hot tub. I would like to run 220 from my main box to this sub-box. I would then run 220 from the box to a pool-type timer, then to a 3/4HP shallow well pump.

I would also like to run a 110 line from another breaker on the box to my shed. This would only be for one or two over head lights, and an outlet or two. It is about 25 feet from the side of my house to the shed. I was going to run rigid conduit underground to the shed, then into the shed using an outlet box for the first junction, feeding to the lights circuits etc.

Do I need to have GFCI breakers in my main panel to power the sub box?

If I use non-GFCI breakers in the main, do I then need to use GFCI breakers for the pump as well as for the shed? I am currently running the pump with 110 through an extension cord off a GFCI outlet, so I'm assuming the pump would be OK on the GFCI breaker (no false trips).

I will have to replace some of the breakers in my main panel with half sized ones because I have no more room. The sub box already has breakers installed, so I would rather just buy new GFCI's for the main if that would work. GFCI breakers would then protect the entire circuit, correct?

Do I need a grounding rod for this sub-box?

Do I need to run all the wiring within the shed inside conduit or can I staple it?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 06:12 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
As I read your post, you want to place the sub panel right next to (or at least close to your main panel.) If this is a wrong assumption, then my answers may be wrong.Y

You do not need to GFCI protect the sub panel. The pool and shed must be GFCI protected. depending on how deep the wires are underground will determine if the GFCI protection needs to be at the sub panel or at the shed. The pump is usually GFCI protected at the panel.

No grounding rod for this sub panel if it's next to the main panel. The grounds and neutral wires MUST be separated at the sub panel.

The wiring in the shed must be protected. "Protected" is a subjective term. You may want to use conduit along the walls, and no conduit in the ceiling.
Old 03-28-05, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the fast answer!

My main panel is inside my garage, the sub panel will be outside of the opposite wall. So, it is about a 20 foot run from the main panel to the sub-panel. Maybe a bit more with the heights involved.

Would the use of a GFCI breaker provide the required protection for both the shallow well pump and the shed?

I understand that I do need to protect the wires in the shed, and I will need to keep the neutral and ground bars in the sub box separate.
Old 03-28-05, 06:39 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
A GFCI protects everything downstream from it. Theoretically you could replace your main breaker with a GFCI breaker (if anybody made one) and protect your whole property (although that wouldn't necessarily be a good idea).

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes