Installing GFCI

Old 03-28-05, 08:44 AM
Installing GFCI

I need to intall a GFCI(s) in a kitchen. There is a two gang, outlet and switch for disposal on the left of sink and a single gang on the right of sink. Both on same 20A circuit. The problem I'm having is its wired with 12/3. On the left side the outlet has a hot red and two neutrals to the outlet; the switch wired between the two red hots and the black hots wired together. On the right outlet the reds are wired together and the outlet has one black to the outlet and two neutrals to the outlet. Tried installing GFCI's in both, outlets are hot but test/reset does not work. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 08:49 AM
This is a multiwire circuit. The best way to get GFCI protection is to install a GFCI receptacle in both boxes, and do not connect anything to the "load" connections. For each GFCI, use only red and white, or black and white (i.e., the red and white never both connect to the same GFCI).

Alternatively, you can install an (expensive) double-pole 20-amp GFCI breaker.

Old 03-28-05, 11:56 AM
I think John mistyped in his answer. I believe he meant to say, "i.e., the red and BLACK never both connect to the same GFCI"

Old 03-28-05, 12:10 PM
Indeed....

Old 03-28-05, 03:32 PM
I did that. On the two gang outlet (w/disposal switch) I connected red to line end of GFCI and two neutrals to line end also. When you flip switch for disposal, the GFCI trips. Alternatively, on the single gang outlet on the right side of sink, did as above. Outlet was hot and correctly wired (checked w/hankdheld plugin type thinghy) but GFCI would not "TEST" or "RESET".
Any ideas?

Old 03-28-05, 06:17 PM
So there is nothing at all connected to the "load" terminals on the GFCI? And there is nothing plugged into the GFCI when it trips? Then either there is an accidental short in the box, or the GFCI is defective, or you are mistaken about one of the above facts.

I suspect maybe you mixed up "line" and "load".

Old 03-28-05, 08:22 PM
John,
As you know, new GFCI's come with a sticker covering the load termimals & "Line" is also printed on the back. I'm certain I hooked it up correctly. Both neutrals to the line end and the red to the other line end. GFCI came out of a three pak--installed the other two elsewhere ok. I'll be going back in a day or so and will take a fresh GFCI w/me and try again. If I can't get it to work, I will post back. Thanks for your help so far.

Old 03-28-05, 09:16 PM
You dont mention the cable to the disposal switch. You only mention 2 white wires and there should be three in the box. Did you have this disposal switch disconnected then reconnected it after wiring the gfci? That disposal switch has me wondering if you have miswired it in the circuit or it wasnt part of the multiwire circuit to begin with. A short in the box as John said is good possibility also.

Old 03-28-05, 09:19 PM
Just so I'm clear, both white wires attached to "line white" and the red attached to "line hot". Right? Is there a grounding wire too?

Old 03-29-05, 02:00 AM
12/3 cable has a red, black, white and a bare ground wires.
If you have 2 red, 2 white, 1 black in the right box. is there a second black wire ?
-------------------------
Can you tell us the colors of the wires feeding the disposal ?
Is the disposal fed with a white and a red wire from the right box ?
-------------------------------------------
This appears to be a multi wire set up splitting 240 volts.
It will have 2 circuit breakers.
---------------------------------------------
Is the left plug and the disposal on one breaker ?
and the right plug on a different breaker ?
The right plug may have a tripped breaker try testing the plug with a lamp.

Can this be your wiring set up

............ = blank (had to use dots in place of the space bar)
------------ = wires
/ wire nut
+ screw on plug
! Disposal

Neutral---white----------+------------------white--------------------------+-----------------------white---------!
............................L.plug_box...................................................R.plug_box..................................Disposal
Breaker 1-----------black/black---------------------------------Black------+
Breaker 2-----red-------+---red---switch--red-----------------------red/red--------------------------red-------!

Old 03-29-05, 07:54 AM
I'm remembering this from Sat. morning. I'll be going back to double check the schematic and will post back. Thanks for the answers.

Old 04-09-05, 06:22 PM
GFCI follow-up

In the interest of leaving no thread without conclusion:

Finally made it back to this home. After investigating, the two outlets on either side of the sink are on different 3 wire 20amp circuits. The left was a 3 wire split to power outlet on sink and a switched outlet for the diposer. The right was split to power its outlet and then send power to the dishwasher on the other hot leg.
Installed the GFCI's w/incoming hot to line side of GFCI and both neutrals to line side of same.(Per each box)

Thanks to all for the replies.