Electrically Stumped

Old 03-28-05, 08:07 AM
marshallt395
Visiting Guest
Electrically Stumped

I put a sub breaker box in my detached garage, replacing an old fuse box. I'm showing 120 volts to the different recepticles. When I put a light bulb into light recepticle or other appliances into other recepticles, nothing!?!? No tripped breakers. All wires in breaker box are screwed in tight as are those in man box at house??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by marshallt395
I put a sub breaker box in my detached garage, replacing an old fuse box. I'm showing 120 volts to the different recepticles. When I put a light bulb into light recepticle or other appliances into other recepticles, nothing!?!? No tripped breakers. All wires in breaker box are screwed in tight as are those in man box at house??
Are you taking voltage readings at the receptacles? Where are you 'showing 120 volts to the receptacles?' At the circuit breakers?

Old 03-28-05, 08:29 AM
marshallt395
Visiting Guest
I'm showing 120 at the breakers and recepticles.... .

Old 03-28-05, 08:39 AM
You have an open neutral.

Are you testing hot to neutral, or hot to ground? What does neutral to ground show?

Old 03-29-05, 05:05 PM
marshallt395
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick feed back. My wiz kid neighbor initially thought that it was an open nuetral also but then showed me that we had 210 going out of the main and 20 yards away at the sub box only showed 110 coming into the box. When I put the tester in a lot socket it would show 110 at that socket but when I screwed a bulb in it was very weak and would only show about 50 volts at the box. He suggested there might very well be a break or cut in the line somewhere between the house and garrage.... . Again, thanks for your help! mt