Electrical work question

Old 03-28-05, 09:03 AM
Electrical work question

I'm in the planning stages of finishing my basement. In my county, you must be a licensed master electrician to pull an electrical permit. Do any of you pros allow a homeowner to do some of the work in the interest of saving $$? Example being you pull the permit, I run the wiring, mount boxes, fixtures, etc, but you check things over and do the final connections. Is that a reasonable request to make, or will most electricians just run away? FWIW, I completely wired our previous basement that was in a jurisdiction that allowed homeowners to pull trade permits, so its not like I have no idea what I'm doing. I just can't see paying several thousand dollars for something I'm capable of doing myself.

Thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 09:09 AM
You will often find it is the case that professional electricians will be reluctant to work in such an arrangement. You are asking them to take responsibility for your work. That's a liability issue for them. Sometimes if the electrician is a personal friend he or she would be willing to do this for you, but otherwise it isn't done very often. You'll be lucky to find somebody who will do this, but I wish you luck anyway.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Juice

Old 03-28-05, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like your county really wants people to cut corners. Faced with the same problem that you are, I can't imagine that many people get permits at all!

I would advise you to make a lot of calls to electricians in your yellowpages until you find one that's agreeable. This is probably a situation they encounter a lot in your area and at least a few will probably oblige.

Old 03-28-05, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Sounds like your county really wants people to cut corners. Faced with the same problem that you are, I can't imagine that many people get permits at all!
That's what I don't understand about this rule. Even if it required a test to show you were competent I wouldn't mind that. They make it so difficult, I agree its amazing anyone pulls permits at all.

Old 03-28-05, 09:50 AM
Having such a restrictive rule invites people to "cheat" the system. I grew up in a city, where a licensed electrician is required. My dad added misc. lighting and receptacle circuits in the basement, and I still remember as a kid him telling us that if anything caught on fire someday to say the wiring was like that when we moved in. I have also visited many homes in in an engineering capacity and regularly found electrical work done by "somebody's brother-in-law" and was usually done on the cheap and violated Code. The thoughtful DIYer who takes the time to learn the correct way to do electrical work is a great thing, but something that many municipalities are not willing to take a chance on. I hope you find an electrician who will work with you.

Juice