Free older home: where to start on renovations

Old 03-28-05, 10:48 AM
Larissa
Visiting Guest
Free older home: where to start on renovations

I'm a single mom that's been struggling for years and have just been GIVEN an old (30 years I'm guessing, don't know exact year yet) mobile home already set up in a good family park.

I have very little house owning/repair knowledge but am very willing to learn and do what I am capable of myself, saving money for the big projects I'd have to hire a professional to do.

What I want to know is where should I begin? I'm guessing under the house. I need to know how I should inspect, is there a good checklist out there? Do you suggest I hire a professional to do so?

I have SO many ideas I can't contain them all but am trying to calm myself and think of function first before looks.

Any suggestions on how to prioritize and list what needs to be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Smile Does anyoneone know where to start

The first thing I would inspect would be the wiring. To do a lot of work only to have it burn up would make anyone cry! If any wiring needs to be replaced it isn't all that hard. Most code books give you all the info you need [also most locals you don't need to be licensed to do work for yourself] Before you do too much work you want to make sure the walls and siding don't leak. You will probably find rotten floors along the outside walls and near plumbing. If you are as strapped for cash as most of us, I would do what needs doing to make it safe to live in and then tackle 1 project at a time after you move in.
Hopefully there is someone you know with a little construction knowledge that can inspect the place with you. Even someone that has owned older trailers or homes would be of help.
Wish you lots of luck and rest assured you can always get advice here.

Last edited by majakdragon; 03-28-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 07:03 PM
A thorough inspection by someone who knows what they are doing would be a good place to start. There are professionals who specialize in home inspection who can point out any deficiencies and areas that require urgent attention. Making sure the structure is safe and sound are more important than updating decor when just starting out.