Pulling power off a three-way switch

Old 03-28-05, 05:32 PM
tadtv1
Visiting Guest
Pulling power off a three-way switch

Can you pull power off the second three-way switch in in a three-way circuit or must I run a separate cable? Here's the layout. Incoming power goes to first three-way switch, then to second three-way switch, then to the load. At that second switch, is there constant power from one of the travelers to pull and utilitze for a different use? I don't think there is but thought I might ask and maybe save some cable. I have a bunch of these situations on my upcoming full house wire. Thanks

Old 03-28-05, 05:53 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, you cannot tap power from the second 3-way switch. Tapping power from any switch is always iffy.

With your setup, you can tap power from the first 3-way switch box. I always like to tap power from an unswitched receptacle.

Old 03-29-05, 04:25 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The only power you can tap from second the 3way in your setup will switched power. Anything you connect from there will be switched with the light.

Old 03-29-05, 04:46 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's an interesting thought...

By replacing the second three way switch with a four way switch, you can get power for a receptacle when the light is either ON or OFF. By breaking the tab on the receptacle you could have half the receptacle powered when the light is on, and the other half powered when the light is off.

Old 03-29-05, 05:14 PM
J
Bob, you can do that with the 3-way switch. Just connect one traveler to the top half of the receptacle and the other traveler to the bottom half of the receptacle.

Just in case, I'll point out that neither Bob nor I are making a serious suggestion.

Old 03-29-05, 05:16 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not so fast John. We want the switched receptacle to follow the light or not follow the light, as the case may be.

But yes, I'm not seriously suggesting this. I can only think of one case where something like this might make sense, and there are easier alternatives.

Old 03-29-05, 05:28 PM
J
Who's "we"?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: