Rookie electrical help

Old 03-30-05, 08:00 PM
snake164th
Visiting Guest
Rookie electrical help

Hello All,

Here is my problem: next to being new at electrical work and wiring, Iíve been having some trouble with adding an additional outlet. Iím wiring in an old house, and a duplex outlet sits on one side of a bedroom. On the other side of the room is an unused crawl space. I wish to add an additional outlet, (single or duplex) on the crawl space wall, next to the backside of the bedroom outlet. The bedroom outlet is incased in a metal box. Iím wondering how the wiring to the new additional outlet will work.

Sincerely,
Charles Spring

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-05, 09:36 PM
Give us an inventory of the color of wires and cables and how they are connected to the receptacle you wish to tap. You may have a switched receptacle and this will make a small difference in how you will wire this.
Check to see if a wall switch controls all or half this receptacle this may be why you are having trouble. You will notice that one side of the receptacle has brass screws and one side has silver screws. There is a small brass tab between the brass screws tell us if it has been removed. You can look at the silver screw side which also has this tab and use it for reference. Another tip that it is a switched half receptacle is if a red wire is connected to one of the brass screws. We also need to make sure if this might be a multiwire circuit you are tapping. Make sure that you are using the same size wire that is existing when you finally get this wired correctly. In other words if its 12 awg use 12 awg if 14 awg use 14 awg. The easiest way to tell is at the breaker/fuse box, as long as no one has done anything "resourceful" 14 awg will be breakered 15 amp and 12 awg will be 20 amp. How old of wiring are you dealing with...knob and tube or wires in cables covered by plastic or cloth?

Last edited by Roger; 03-31-05 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added information
Old 03-31-05, 08:14 AM
If you live in the USA, you will need to upgrade the breaker to an AFCI version since you are modifying the existing bedroom circuit.

Steve

Old 03-31-05, 08:35 AM
Dont buy an afci (they arent cheap) until you check with your local codes division to find out if they have adopted the afci requirements of the Nec. Many local municipalities dont require them.

Old 03-31-05, 09:16 AM
In Canada too

AFCIs are a requirement in Canada, well, at least in Ontario. But, again, it's up the local inspector to have the final word.

PS. I am making the assumption that "Mr Fixit eh" is Canadian. He does not list his location.

Old 04-01-05, 08:59 AM
You are right, I should have said, USA or Canada.

Yup. I did have location in my profile, but somehow got deleted.

Steve