What do I need to do this job?

Old 03-31-05, 06:46 PM
What do I need to do this job?

The service coming in is single-phase, 3 wire, 200amp, 60 cycle.

I am taking a 200amp feed from the pole (of course it is not hooked up yet) and need to split it to 4 sub panels and one set of outlets (for a well pump, ect.).

What do I need, the main box I am putting in will be outdoors but I can't find one at lowes. Can I use an indoor breaker box and place it in a wood box (weather proof) on a pole?
I was looking at:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...5KW&lpage=none

I am wonder what the maximum breakers I can put in, is 4, 100amp breakers and one 20 amp breaker (for the pump) ok? Or do I need to lower the 4?

The sub panels are already there but they are currently main panels so I will have to un-bond the neutrals from the grounds on those.
I was wondering if I have to feed the ground wire from the main box to the sub panels if the sub panels will have grounding rods? I now it is usually but I don't understand why if there is a grounding rod for the sub panel.

Anything else I am not thinking of (probably I have thought of lots of stuff but probably haven't posted it here but go ahead and list anything I didn't post ?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-05, 07:25 PM
You will need a permit, a meter base, and an inspection and a whole lot of luck. Changing/installing a service is in no way, shape, or form a small project. I was only able to do my own for my house because I did several service changouts working with an electrical contractor. I am also an electrical engineer. There are a lot of codes and requirements to be concerned with. So, I would suggest having an electrician do the work, it will save you time and money in the long run. (unless you are a glutton for punishment, like me )

Old 03-31-05, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by scott e.
You will need a permit, a meter base, and an inspection and a whole lot of luck. Changing/installing a service is in no way, shape, or form a small project. I was only able to do my own for my house because I did several service changouts working with an electrical contractor. I am also an electrical engineer. There are a lot of codes and requirements to be concerned with. So, I would suggest having an electrician do the work, it will save you time and money in the long run. (unless you are a glutton for punishment, like me )

The electric company will put the meter in.
Mike

Old 03-31-05, 08:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try going to a real supply house as opposed to a home center. Home centers have the basic stuff, what they think a home owner/DIY/small res contractor will need. Forget anything special, and definitely forget ordering anything.
If you are in anything but the remote sticks there is sure to be an electrical supply house near you.

Old 03-31-05, 08:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, from the gist of your post unless you are an advanced DIY/electrician I would strongly recommend getting a pro to do this job.
What you are attempting is no regular service change.

Old 03-31-05, 09:25 PM
Im not doing a service change. This is a new setup.
It is hooking up trailers that have boxes.

I will have it inspected once I am done.

Mike

Old 04-01-05, 09:58 AM
How big are the 'trailers?' What size panel in is the trailers? What are the electrical loads in the trailers?

Old 04-01-05, 10:43 AM
I believe the panels in the trailers are 100amp -but- am not sure, I will of course check that before I choose how large a breaker to place in the main box.

The loads shouldn't be large. There will not be any electric stoves or clothes dryer. So pretty much refrigerators, lights, washing machines, tv & vcr (but not much), once in a while a computer, possibly a hair dryer now and then in one of them.

I think I calculated out the average use to about 30amps a trailer (but obviously that is not the peak).

Basically we are stuck with one 200amp hookup (we are way out). So we have to use what we got and just make do around it.

Mike

Old 04-01-05, 11:39 AM
What's the distance in linear feet from furthest trailer's panel board to the main service panel. Need this info to calculate the voltage drop.

Old 04-01-05, 03:09 PM
I have to estimate but I would say a high estimate would be 45 feet. Low estimate would be 30 feet.

If I used 1/0 it would be about a 3.1v drop (I have a link to a site that helps to calc.) is that acceptable or could I use less expensive cable?

Mike

Old 04-01-05, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by MikeJoel
The electric company will put the meter in.
Mike
But they usually don't set the base or run the conduit or the feeder lines. They are usually responsible up to the weatherhead on an overhead service. Underground, I think that they will fish the wired up though an existing conduit for connection in the meter base.

Old 04-01-05, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by scott e.
But they usually don't set the base or run the conduit or the feeder lines. They are usually responsible up to the weatherhead on an overhead service. Underground, I think that they will fish the wired up though an existing conduit for connection in the meter base.
They said they ran it down the pole and we did the wiring, then they come back and hook it up.

I am giving them a call. I have their paper work here but it is all for underground service and we are having it brought in on poles.
I'll post again after I call.

Mike

Last edited by MikeJoel; 04-02-05 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 10:35 PM
45 linear feet isn't very long for a load of approximately 50 amps.

Are the trailers like mobile homes or the RV type?