Half height box needed?

Old 04-01-05, 06:34 AM
Half height box needed?

Can a ceiling electrical box (for an overhead light) protrude out past drywall a 1/4" or so?

Caution: knob and tube wiring & plaster ceiling construction...

There is a full height metal box (with rounded corners) that sits flush on the current plaster and is screwed to another metal box imbedded flush in the plaster ceiling. The piggy-back box looks like a pass-through kind of box, since it doesn't have a back. On top of this old plaster ceiling (all around the box), I've put 3/4" thick furring strips on in prep for drywall. (the current plaster ceiling is awful) My math: 3/4" furring + 1/2" drywall = 1 1/4" distance from plaster surface to drywall surface...right? Well, the full-height metal box is a good 1 1/2"...so, I would have at least a 1/4" of protrusion. Is this ok? The only other pass-through boxes I saw t HD were 1/2" round to square converter types. Regardless, isn't too tall better than too short?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 07:02 AM
Go to an electrical supply house. You will be able to find the size and shape extension you need.

Old 04-01-05, 07:08 AM
I think Bob misinterpreted.

Yes, it is allowable for electrical boxes to protrude past the drywall. However, most people would not like the way it looks.

Old 04-01-05, 07:22 AM
Actually, I didn't directly answer the question.

As John said, you can have the box extend past the ceiling surface (or the wall surface or whatever).

But you can also buy the right sized extender box for your situation, which is what I would do.

Old 04-01-05, 09:40 AM
Ah. I think I misinterpreted.

Old 04-01-05, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your help, everyone.