Does Chicago code allow conduit under flooring?

Old 04-01-05, 10:02 AM
ChicagoPerson
Visiting Guest
Red face Does Chicago code allow conduit under flooring?

We are going to hire a contractor that will rip out some walls, redo our kitchen, and install hard wood floors. However, we would like to understand what is legal and required BEFORE we talk to contractors. We are in a condo on the 18th floor of a high rise that has concrete flooring (currently w/carpet). Since we have to put several layers down between the floor and the wood, are we allowed to put conduit through the floor to a permanent kitchen island?

I would appreciate any help you might have. I have searched the internet and found very little about Chicago codes.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-05, 09:49 AM
ChicagoPerson,

I would say that as long as you are not going below the original lightweight concrete you are not penetrating the fire rated assymbly. It would be best to simply call the local building department and ask one of the building inspectors your question. It may require a site visit by the building department to answer the question.

hope this helps.

Brian Garrison
General Contractor/Professional Building Designer

Old 04-04-05, 12:49 PM
What I understand is that you want to put conduit below the new wood flooring, but above the concrete floor - correct?

it sounds fine to me, but call your local building inspector to make sure. you'll have to also make sure nails from the wood floor don't penetrate the conduit!