2prong outlets want 3 prong outlets

Old 04-02-05, 03:58 AM
brownsfan420
Visiting Guest
2prong outlets want 3 prong outlets

I just bought an old victorian mansion. I am redoing a bunch of rooms and want to install new outlets. I have noticed that some outlest have been replaced(some time ago) with 3 prong outlets, but others haven't. Does this mean those 2 prong outlets are not grounded and what do I need to do to replace with 3 prong outlets? Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 05:20 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The first thing you need to do is to decide if the receptacles are grounded. Check for proper grounding by examining the wiring. If there is a bare ground wire or a green wire with the other wires then that indicates a ground. A ground also might be carried by the conduit (if you have conduit) if the conduit is metal. Use a circuit tester to confirm the presence or absence of a ground on the three prong receptacles.

The mere presence of a ground wire does not guarantee a ground. You also need to have the other end of the ground wire connected. Check the panel to see if the wires entering have grounds.

If you have no ground then you have several choices:

1) Only use two prong receptacles. Works for most items.

2) Replace the wiring so that there is a ground.

3) Add a ground wire.

4) Provide GFCI protection. GFCI protection allows you to use a grounded receptacle that is not grounded. You must mark the receptacles as "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND".

Understand that for certain appliances you need either a ground or GFCI protection (appliances). Understand that certain electronic equipment needs a proper ground.

Old 04-04-05, 09:41 AM
putzing
Visiting Guest
You can also buy a small plug device that will light up and tell you if the receptacle is grounded. Only $3.

Be aware that with ungrounded outlets, your surge protectors WILL NOT WORK.

Even if the outlets are 3 prong, it does not mean they are grounded properly or at all. I have 3 pronged outlets, but none of them are grouned.

Old 04-04-05, 11:04 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The "small plug device" that putzing is talking about will not accurately tell you if your receptacles are grounded. To accurately make this determination you must open the receptacles and look at them, as well as examine the wiring.