electric box wireing

Old 04-02-05, 03:11 PM
dan619fan
Visiting Guest
Smile electric box wireing

we are building a new house. We are currently installing our electric. I was looking at some diagrams on how to install switches and recepticles in a plastic wall box. It showed that a short piece of wire had to be connected from the grounding screw in to the power source wire/cable. Is it possible to instead of conecting the grond screw with a seperate wire. can u just run it straight through with out using the seperate wire. would it be legal and pass electrical inspection.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is a confusing question to me. Do you mean to loop the wire through the box without cutting it? Or loop one ground around the switch and then attach to the other?

Actually, from the gist of your question, and the fact that you say you are reading diagrams on how to install switches, do you feel confident in your experience to wire a whole house?
I know many folks trivialize things like electrical thinking "It is so easy to do, why can't I do it myself?". There are many codes and work practices to be considered.
I truly hope you do lots of homework and have the assistance of a licensed electricina to get the job done.

Old 04-02-05, 06:36 PM
Where did you find two conductor romex W/O a ground?

Old 04-02-05, 07:41 PM
I think I understand the situation. He is asking if there needs to be a pigtail attached to the grounding conductor screw on the recepticle, which would then be connected to the grounding conductor in the romex. He wants to know if the pigtail can be skipped, and just attach the romex grounding conductor directly to the receptical.
If this is the question, then yes, you can and should simply connect the grounding conductor directly to the recepticle.
This is assuming this is the only recepticle in the box, and there is no other wiring present, such as an outgoing cable to another recepticle.

Old 04-02-05, 11:56 PM
Could very well be. It also helps to speak the language, saves the dentistry.