Moving Knob & Tube

Old 04-04-05, 10:14 AM
hermione
Visiting Guest
Moving Knob & Tube

I had to move a switch to porch lights to install a new doorway. The wires to the switch turned out to be knob and tube (most of this has been replaced in this old house.) I was able to move the two wires to another wall, and want to run this down to the basement and up another wall where the new switch will be located. Should I keep two separate wires and run them all the way to the new switch, or can I use a junction box to connect the old wiring to new?

Old 04-04-05, 10:49 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hermione
I had to move a switch to porch lights to install a new doorway. The wires to the switch turned out to be knob and tube (most of this has been replaced in this old house.) I was able to move the two wires to another wall, and want to run this down to the basement and up another wall where the new switch will be located. Should I keep two separate wires and run them all the way to the new switch, or can I use a junction box to connect the old wiring to new?
You can use a plastic junction box to splice the old with the new. Keep a minimum 3" spacing between the two knob and tube wires up to their entering the junction box.

Each two knob & tube wires must enter the junction box through individual holes in the junction box. You can use wire nuts to splice the wires inside the junction box.

Make sure the junction box is accessible.

Old 04-04-05, 11:01 AM
hermione
Visiting Guest
Thank you. Sounds like I should run the two wires to the basement and then create a junction box there to new wiring. I saved the two insulators, so will use those when running the old wire down to basement. Do they have to be so many inches apart? there were only two in a run of about 3 feet.

Old 04-04-05, 11:24 AM
T
Support (insulators) is required at intervals not exceeding 4-1/2 feet.

Old 04-04-05, 03:25 PM
hermione
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Another question: I plan to connect the K&T wires to 12 gauge. Is that correct?

Also, I'm having a little trouble drilling into the outer wall, where the new switch box is to be located in the kitchen. I can get to it from the basement, but it requires I drill almost sideways, and I keep missing the wall somehow. Any ideas?

Old 04-04-05, 06:35 PM
R
Knob and tube is 14 gauge. It will be much easier for you to work with 14 gauge wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: