Wiring a Ice Fishhouse for a generator

Old 04-04-05, 11:36 AM
Question Wiring a Ice Fishhouse for a generator

I've recently bought a fishhouse, I'm gutting it and rebuilding the inside.

I want to wire it (lights and receptacles). The source will be a gas (120) generator.

Does anyone have hint or ideas' on what I should do ?

The generator will be outside and plug into the house from there. What type of receptacle do I need there.

I will only be running lights. The receptacle will be used for radio and TV.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-05, 03:10 PM
map686
Visiting Guest
Good question, since you're on water perhaps a gfci would be a good idea, but does your generator have 1 built in? I would do standard wiring without too much extra stuff. maybe 2 -3 receptacles. Is there no code for fishing shacks? lol . happy fishing!

Old 04-05-05, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The generator should have breakers built in, so I really don't think you'd need to mess with a breaker. I would wire a #12 circuit in the shack just like a normal house circuit and run it to a weatherproof box on the outside of the shack. Then in the weatherproof box, I would junction the circuit with a piece of UF cable that has a male screw on plug attached. This will allow you to "plug-in" your shack to the generator. Definately use GFCI though!

Old 04-05-05, 04:37 PM
Forget the UF and use a flanged inlet.

Originally Posted by ibpooks
The generator should have breakers built in, so I really don't think you'd need to mess with a breaker. I would wire a #12 circuit in the shack just like a normal house circuit and run it to a weatherproof box on the outside of the shack. Then in the weatherproof box, I would junction the circuit with a piece of UF cable that has a male screw on plug attached. This will allow you to "plug-in" your shack to the generator. Definately use GFCI though!
UF cable is not suitable for use a a flexible connection. Just install a flanged inlet http://www.twaathome.com/Catalog/Model_5239.htm in the weather proof box so you can plug the flexible cord from the generator directly into it. That way there is no cord or cable on the outside of the shack when it is not in use.
--
Tom H