Laundry Receptacles

Old 04-04-05, 02:57 PM
Laundry Receptacles

I am relocating two single-outlet receptacles that were mounted in metal boxes with PVC conduit in my unfinished basement. I am now finishing it and moving the W/D into a laundry closet. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, I had to put 2x4's on flat against basement wall, which is the back of this laundry closet. 2 questions:
1. Can/should I provide just one duplex outlet (20A) rather than the two separate single-outlet receptacles? I was thinking of this mainly to eliminate having 2 sets of conductors needed to go from the first single outlet box to the next (how they are currently wired), which would be tougher if I try to use shallow boxes to stay within 1-1/2" depth.
2. What type of box should I use here? I know there are some shallow boxes, but not sure if they come in std rectagular size.
Aesthetics are not a big concern as this laundry area will be behind closed doors except when you're actually loading/unloading - and I could mount boxes at height that conceals them. So if some type of full-depth box is better, and it sticks out from surface some, that's ok. Can box stick out from drywall, though?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-05, 03:03 PM
You should have made this a full width wall. You will regret that many times over.

Run a new circuit to this laundry area. it must be a 20 amp circuit, with nothing else on it.

Yes, boxes can stick out from the wall. You can even surface mount the boxes if you want.

Old 04-06-05, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your help racraft - I see by your many posts that you are a valuable asset here...

Any thought/code issue with using one duplex rather than two single receptacles, as they are current wired? Any reason builder would've used two singles vs a duplex? This is a newer house so they were already on a dedicated 20A circuit.

Plus, I just checked last night and the metal boxes builder used appear to be 1-7/8" deep, so with 1-1/2" stud & 1/2" drywall I could re-use boxes with hopefully no regrets...

Old 04-06-05, 10:29 AM
How far apart are/were the two simplex receptacles?

Old 04-06-05, 10:45 AM
No more than 3 ft apart

Old 04-06-05, 11:00 AM
The only issue with a duplex receptacle is that if the cords are right angle cords they may not both fit. However, they do sell duplex receptacles with the receptacles oriented 90 degrees from what most of us are used to.

Old 04-06-05, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
The only issue with a duplex receptacle is that if the cords are right angle cords they may not both fit. However, they do sell duplex receptacles with the receptacles oriented 90 degrees from what most of us are used to.
Can you provide a link to some of those. I have seen some photoshopped pics but never an actual receptacle.