Upgrading panel

Old 04-04-05, 06:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading panel

If I touched a live conductor that fed my main panel, everyone says I'll get zapped. If I touch a live conductor that is off my main panel but protected by a 15 Amp breaker, I believe I will get zapped too. Both cases seem to expose me to plenty of lethal current, yet everyone makes a big deal about not touching the power company conductors.

I bring this up because my city electrical inspector says I can change the panel myself while it is still energized, which scares the heck out of me. He told me, and I was all ears for this, that so long as I insulate myself there should be no danger. He said he has a C 10 license. Did I not understand him correctly?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-05, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is he f-ing nuts?!?!?
A city inspector suggesting to a DIY'er to work live?!! Not only live, but UNFUSED, power company fed live? I can't believe what I am reading.
How does he propose you get the live wires out of the steel box they are in now? While he was at it did he instruct you how to insulate both wires from contacting the box, each other or the neutral?

True, if you are insualted you will not get a shock. Like birds on a power line. But you have two wires with 240 volts between them, and a grounded conductor, all together in one bundle. And how do you know you are truly insulated?
POCO guys are required to wear gauntlet gloves when working live. Along with a Nomex jacket and arc flash glasses.

I tell ya what, if I knew who he was I would report him in a heartbeat.
This is about the most UNSOUND advice I have heard in a long time!