Height of wire in wall

Old 04-05-05, 06:06 AM
Height of wire in wall

Currently my garage only has one outlet thus necessitating the use of extension cords. I would like to add 5-7 outlets but given the construction of my garage am curious if there is a minimum height requirement for line voltage cable to be installed; of course the outlets will be at a standard height but for ease of installation I would run the Romex 4-6 of the bottom plate of the wall. Are there any problems with this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-05, 07:49 AM
There is no problem with this. You can even place the receptacles this low. The cable must be protected, so if the walls are open you will need to protect the cable.

Old 04-05-05, 07:52 AM
Protected as in conduit? Why this requirement? Is it because it is in an abonormal location or because code has changed from when the house was originally built (1986) (all other Romex in the house is not in conduit.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Merlin; 04-05-05 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-05-05, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Merlin
Currently my garage only has one outlet thus necessitating the use of extension cords. I would like to add 5-7 outlets but given the construction of my garage am curious if there is a minimum height requirement for line voltage cable to be installed; of course the outlets will be at a standard height but for ease of installation I would run the Romex 4-6 of the bottom plate of the wall. Are there any problems with this?
I install garage receptalces about 3 feet high. Doesn't take look before stuff is stacked up in front of them.

Old 04-05-05, 08:52 AM
The requirements for protection have not changed. Protection is subjective. If the walls are open and you are running cable horizontally through the studs, you will need conduit.

if you are running cable within walls then the walls provide the protection.

Old 04-07-05, 11:31 AM
If you don't want to runit in conduit you may nail 3/4 " boards across the outside of the studs to protect the wires, or use strips of metal. what I suggest is merely make the main run at ceiling height, run the cable down the side of the studto the box, then run the cable back up the side of the stud back to ceiling height until you get to the next box location. yes, this will take more cable, the key phrase here is protection from damage. Also, in a garage keep recepts and wiring at least 18" of floor level. You are running into a hazardous location here if you plan on storing any fuel in the garage.

Old 04-07-05, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. This is my thinking. The garage is drywalled so the cable will be protected. There is baseboard (1x10) running around the whole garage. I figured I could pull the baseboard and make holes large enough to get a drill in there with out having to do major drywall + paint work. So if I run the cable close to the bottom of the wall I can run the up the side of the stud to the box with out a problem. Yes I know I can use a flexible shaft bit + steering device.