damaged insulation in the middle of a run

Old 04-05-05, 06:50 PM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
damaged insulation in the middle of a run

I am repairing a mishap by an old homeowner. The guy ran wire from the basement to an addon in the attic via a vent heater. Yeah, not smart. In the process of pulling it out of the vent I damaged the insulation. I understand that I cannot put a junction box between floors without access. So is there a way to make this repair without snaking new wire. The other end goes to a baseboard heater which I will probably dismantle anyway, but I would like to know for future reference.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-05, 04:16 AM
If you can't install a junction box that is permanently accessible, then all you can do is to replace the cable.

Old 04-06-05, 04:27 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "vent heater"?

If it's ONLY the outer sheath of the cable, you can repair it with high quality (read: not the 49 cent stuff). If the insulation of the individual conductors is cut to the bare conductor, you'll have to repair or replace the cable.

Steve

Old 04-06-05, 05:47 PM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
sorry Mr. fixit...I meant heater vent....or hvac vent...it's that adjective before the noun thing...mess it up all the time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-07-05, 05:20 AM
This is not a code-compliant installation. It is also not safe. You should plan on re-routing the cable.

Steve