Wiring outside circuit...

Old 04-05-05, 08:02 PM
madscot
Visiting Guest
Wiring outside circuit...

I have an existing exterior duplex 120v outlet connected to an internal duplex GFCI outlet. I would like to extend the exterior outlet to cover maybe 4 duplex outlets around my yard to plug in a couple of exterior lights and a couple of bug zappers. Is it ok to simply extend off this exterior outlet?

I plan on using PVC conduit run along the underside of a deck and the side of a fence and use exterior outlets with weatherproof covers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-05, 07:16 AM
The answer is maybe, but probably yes.

It depends on what else is on the circuit.

There are code issues, and practical issues.

So tell us everything that is currently on this circuit. If you don't already have a list of things on this circuit, now would be a good time to map out the entire house. Shut off each breaker one at a time, and make a list of everything that loses power. When you get done, every light, every receptacle, and every appliance should be associated with one of those breakers.

Old 04-06-05, 08:02 PM
madscot
Visiting Guest
My investigations show that there is only the one duplex GFCI outlet in the garage and one duplex outlet on the outside wall. I therefore think that the circuit would be able to handle the additional load - I thinks so anyway.
However, the last outlet that I want to install will probably be around 100 ft away from the duplex outlet on the outside wall - is that ok?

Also what code issues should I look out for? Do I need to install the conduit a certain height above the ground? Can I run some of the conduit underneath my deck which is about 1 ft above ground?

Thanks

Old 04-07-05, 07:47 AM
Many times the garage receptacle is on the same circuit as a receptacle in the basement, receptacles in bathrooms, and receptacles on porches. Check all of these out before proceeding.

A receptacle 100 feet away may or may not be a problem. It depends on what you plan to plug into it. It the power requirements are not great, it would probably be okay.

You can run the conduit pretty-much any place that common sense tells you that you can. Be sure to put wet-rated wire in it.