New Bath Circuit Design?

Old 04-06-05, 06:07 AM
New Bath Circuit Design?

I need to wire a new bathroom that I am adding in my basement. It will have its own 20amp circuit and have a single GFCI outlet. It will also have a fan and two lights (one over the sink/vanity, and a recessed wet-location light in the shower).

Can you tell me what parts of the circuit to put on the "load" (protected) side of the GFCI? I am thinking that the line should come into the GFCI (directly from the breaker) and that ALL other parts of the circuit (both lights and the fan) should be protected by the GFCI. Is that correct? If not, could you describe the correct layout.

Thanks!

Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-05, 06:12 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
If the GFCI is the first thing on the circuit then it will protect everythihng after it. So i think what you are saying is correct.

Old 04-06-05, 07:26 AM
The lights do not need GFCI protection, but you certainly can protect them if you want.

Old 04-06-05, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will put the lights and fan after the GFCI.

RACRAFT, your post suggests that only the fan needs to be protected (the lights do not). Can you explain why that is? The lights are in the same damp environment. Just curious.

Thanks again.

Old 04-06-05, 11:45 AM
The fan does not need GFCI protection either. Only the receptacle needs to be GFCI protected.

Old 04-06-05, 12:30 PM
jbminyard
Visiting Guest
What does code say?

Shouldn't the outlet be on its own 20a circuit, or is it ok to have the light and fan on same circuit as the outlet? (Per code...)

Thanks

Last edited by jbminyard; 04-06-05 at 12:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-06-05, 01:16 PM
If items within this bathroom are the only items on the circuit then they all may be on the same single 20 amp circuit.

Old 04-06-05, 01:55 PM
If the fan or lights are to be installed directly over the shower, the manufacturer might require GFCI. Consult the installation instructions.

If not directly over the shower, I would have a slight preference for not providing GFCI protection of the fan. But it doesn't make much difference because in most cases (i.e., when there is only one receptacle in the bathroom) the decision is easily reversable in the future. One day when the fan gets really old and worn, it might start tripping the GFCI. If it ever does, you can either replace the fan or remove it from GFCI protection then.

Old 04-07-05, 05:44 AM
Thanks all!

I will check the instructions, but I think I will just put it all on the GFCI. John's point about being able to change it in the future is correct and a good one.

PS: So, it would be against code to put an outlet on an outside wall of the bathroom on the same circuit. Right? Or is that OK?

Old 04-07-05, 05:58 AM
It would be a code violation to have anything at all outside of this bathroom on the same circuit. This circuit can only serve items in this bathroom. Anything outside the bathroom (including on the common wall but serving another area) cannot be on this circuit.

Old 04-07-05, 06:26 AM
That's what I thought. Thanks again.